• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.25 sure grip question

ram250098

Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
I have found a guy with a 8.25 sure grip that I want to put into my 74 Runner. It also has the 8.25.
What is involved in removing the center. It looks to be a bit more involved that the 8.75.
It has a 3:23 gears and he wants $250, that seems ok to me for price.
Thanks
AL

Just swap the entire assembly. It's easier than setting up the gear set

Thats what I would do, but if it is not a B body rear.........

A service manual will detail this alot better and easier than we could tell you how to and then help trouble shoot with.

Basicly speaking, your pulling the axles out and then the yoke followed by the rear end caps.

Are you saying you want to swap the 3.23's AND the sure grip into your housing? Or just the sure grip with your existing gear set. If you want the gear set too you will need to set pinion bearing preload (usually different for used bearings) and check the gear tooth pattern. Not sure if the 8.25 uses shims or a crush sleeve, but if it uses a crush sleeve to provide pinion bearing preload then that will need to be replaced. Also carrier bearings are preloaded and the carrier should not just fall out easily. Hopefully you can avoid this whole mess and just swap the axle assy.

WOW it does sound like it would be easier to swap the whole rear. It is from a75 Roadrunner and going into a 74 so I am guessing it will swap without changing anything. I have not seen or measured the rear yet, but he only wants $250 for it.
Thanks
AL

74 and 75 are different cars, but I bet someone will know if the rears are the sameMaybe this will help

Thanks for the list!! Looks like 73 to 76 B body 8.25 rears will be the same, I bet the spring perches would be same same as well would they not.
AL

Auto Transport Service
Back