• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.25 sure grip

Texas charger 73

Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
I can't find a good used 8.25 sure grip for the life of me.. Going from 2.79 to 3.55 would like to get rid of the one legger... I was looking at the lunchbox lockers. Are they good for street driving? I have heard they engage hard. This car driven on weekends, to shows, occasional cruise. Never race.

Lunch box locker is like a detroit locker but not as strong
going around a corner inside tire will do all the driving or slipping as the other side ratchets to keep up

These sure grips are pretty common in Jeep Cherokees and Dakotas of the mid to late 80's, I have bought them on Ebay for less than $100, the lunch box is not for street use.

I have yet to find one. I am assuming the 27 spline is around 92' and down

I believe that is a true statement Montclair but can't say for sure either. I started researching the Dana 35 in the jeep forums but it would be nice to hear from someone who has done it. The Dana 35's are cheap and plentiful. An entire jeep rear swap with discs would be nice.

First gen liberty discs will bolt up and they are the standard mopar big bolt pattern. The e-brake takes a little extra work.

I've never heard of a 2.79 ratio.
I've heard of the 2.71...I've had a few of those. 2.73 was a GM ratio. 2.76 is a common Mopar gear.
I'd love to see a picture of a 2.79 stamped into the ring gear.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-18152021-chrysler-8-25-trak-lok-posi-27-spline.html

That is one place I found. I have a guy trying to source one out for me, and if he has a different option from above I'll let you know. I'm also going from 2.71 open diff to posi with a steeper gear. Probably 3.91 because I already have them. I'm only going to be pushing maybe 300hp, so the 8.25 is well within is means. Also a street driver, never raced.

First gen liberty discs will bolt up and they are the standard mopar big bolt pattern. The e-brake takes a little extra work.

I used 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee rear disc on my 8.25. Also used my stock Ebrake cables and just hose clamped it to the lever on the backing plate but I have an auto trans and only need it to work for state inspection.

As far as the sure grip goes, I got lucky and found a brand new spicer unit at Carlisle for $100. Most want an 8.75 so there are deals to be had.

I don't remember too many sure grip early Dakotas being made.

We've had half a dozen Dakotas in our family and I always scout them at the U pull yards.

In fact you're not even guaranteed SG in a 4x4 or a jeep.

It might depend on what part of the country you are in. They sold a lot of 2wd wranglers in Florida, believe it or not.

I don't remember too many sure grip early Dakotas being made.

We've had half a dozen Dakotas in our family and I always scout them at the U pull yards.

In fact you're not even guaranteed SG in a 4x4 or a jeep.
Look for the tag. Any 3:55 is a sure grip

Not true.

I have a 97 8.25 Dakota 3.55 axle in my shed.

It is most definitely NOT SG.

I got it free with some other parts and had intended to see if the 3.55 gear helped MPG on my 2000 R/T witch has a 3.92.

@Texas charger 73

I have a new in the box clutch type sure grip for the 8.25 rear axles. I also have a good used 3.55 ring and pinion.

I can't find a good used 8.25 sure grip for the life of me.. Going from 2.79 to 3.55 would like to get rid of the one legger... I was looking at the lunchbox lockers. Are they good for street driving? I have heard they engage hard. This car driven on weekends, to shows, occasional cruise. Never race.

Auto Transport Service
Back