• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 489 Recommendations

chris belser

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
Looking for help buying a new 8 3/4" 489 Center section. I am looking for a 3.91 or 3.73 gear set. I am wondering if Sure grip or True Trac is better. I am also wondering where the best place to buy it is. Moser? Quick Performance? Mancini Racing? any others? I appreciate the help.

**** I forgot to give you the website. Id just bypass ebay and their damn fees and dial direct. Also with a true trac you do not need a friction modifier. That's what he told me. Also do not forget to mention that you are installing green bearings. He will need to know that. I think he takes the pin out for that. If you are doing green bearings.
https://moparmadness.net/

Monday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am -4:00 pm
Sunday: Closed

Last edited:
I purchased one from an ebay builder. True trac, 489 case 3.23 gears with the larger yoke. Ended up bypassing the ebay deal and just talking to him straight on the phone. Older guy sounded like he knew his ****. This is the guy on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/381107270971?hash=item58bbc3753b:g:OJEAAOSwxH1T6~Gr

It sounds like you are pleased with your transaction and luckily didn't have any problems. His Facebook reviews are one star and all of the BBB reviews are one star.

I had 0 issues with the transaction. Talked to the guy over the phone which to me is the way I like to deal with people. He built it and I think it was 2 weeks before it was on the porch. Hopefully someone else will have the same luck as I did.

Last edited:
So is Sure grip or True Trac better??
I am doing this in a Mustang.... I chose tru trac as there are NO clutch plates to wear and NO special oils required... GL4 recommended
DSCF0740.JPG
DSCF0737.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back