• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8-3/4" axle shaft seal question

Al K

Local time
10:48 PM
Reaction score
Hey folks;need an answer to "what is this piece?" It came off the axle shaft-one of them-that were getting new bearings installed on. The problem is the seal(can't find a listing for one-though I found a PDF file that may help) and the threaded sleeve arrangement that either holds the seal in or is just for the seal to butt up against. What I need is a diagram/schematic showing the breakdown of the axle flange area so I know whether or not I need to take it apart to replace the seal. This is supposedly a 1965 housing,and the axles were in it,so I'm PRE-suming(as opposed to ***-uming) that they are '65 units as well.

I mentioned the PDF file;some of you may be aware of it. I found it looking for rear axle info;Google "Chrysler 8-3/4" rear axle guide" and it should be listed. The resident computer expert is at work,or I'd ask her nicely to link it to here. Lots of dimensional info,as well as parts/seal/gasket numbers. I'm hoping that one of them would be for the seal I need for this piece.

Anyway;if anyone can offer advice(you haven't steered me wrong yet-thanks!),it would be appreciated.

100_2055.jpg

100_2056.jpg

That's the adjuster. Goes on the passenger's side axle and is how you adjust the end play. Should be a little "hook" that goes under one of the bolts and "locks" the ring in place.

69 Runner;thanks! Now I need to find some seals;the ones I need(outer axle seals) are no longer available-at least through my local auto parts store. I also need to find an online article on setting the endplay.

For the outer seal try National or Timken #8704S. The inner seal (goes inside axle housing ends) is 8695S. Both are readily available.

Tried that number(it was also listed on the PDF) at my local favorite auto parts store;it's no longer available. I'll hit a couple of other places. Already have the inners;that # was good and the part was available.

Adjust these bearings by tightening the adjuster in until there is no more endplay in the axle shaft (Rotate axles while tightening to seat bearings). After you do this, loosen adjuster 1 or 2 notches to achieve an end play of 0.008" - 0.015".

Another solution would be to go to a "Green axle braeing" set. This eliminate that nees to set the end play, but you must remember to remove the thrust buttons first.

I'm going to be looking for some as well and seeing NLA does not sound comforting! I think there used to be a kit available that included the adjuster, seal and the metal and foam gaskets - and maybe even the bearing. Try searching that route.

Remember that the original axle bearings must be greased as they do not get oil from the rear end like some cars do.

Well,today I'll be contacting Mancini(quick road trip if they've got the stuff) and a couple of Chrysler dealers. Got a PN for the entire kit,and they're NLA. Someone,somewhere is sitting on a stash of these(where's that copy of Hemmings?!) or some old auto parts store has 'em on a dusty shelf in the back.

From what I've read here,the "Green" bearings are not meant for street use;though I'm sure some folks are using them without problems. I'd prefer the OEM arrangement,but the "Green" setup might be my alternative. I was hoping to have the rear housings swapped out by this weekend,so I could focus on the other issues-and ask you cats for help/advice/constructive criticism,etc.

I'll let you know later today what transpires...

Adjust these bearings by tightening the adjuster in until there is no more endplay in the axle shaft (Rotate axles while tightening to seat bearings). After you do this, loosen adjuster 1 or 2 notches to achieve an end play of 0.008" - 0.015".

Another solution would be to go to a "Green axle braeing" set. This eliminate that nees to set the end play, but you must remember to remove the thrust buttons first.

Man, I must have been sleepy when I wrote that. The Green axle bearing set replaces the adjuster setup, and I used it on my Dana 60 for years without any problems at all. The thrust buttons you need to remove first is only if you have a posi differential. Year One has the Green set, as well as Summit and Mancini. Try looking at Wayne Brewer's website:

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

I saw a bunch of axle seals available. Good luck,

69Bee

Auto Transport Service
Back