• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Cone sure grip oil

Odmark91

Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
What oil do you recommend for a cone type sure grip?

A friend who ran a one-man rearend shop always used and recommended Torco, in whatever weight was appropriate for weather conditions.
I dont recall if Torco has limited slip additive in it, but if you do need to add the additive, the ford version is considered the best.

The guy who is building and setting up my cone type diff advised against using any synthetic lube. I am having an Auburn installed on mine and his exact words were "Auburn cones don't like synthetic" and he has been in the business over 40 years.

The guy who is building and setting up my cone type diff advised against using any synthetic lube. I am having an Auburn installed on mine and his exact words were "Auburn cones don't like synthetic" and he has been in the business over 40 years.
Agree, no synthetic! If the customer insisted, my friend would warrantee his work for six inches/six seconds, which ever came first.

80w/90 gear oil, non-synthetic with mopar additive.
BBAE6EDD-8BB7-4402-8A34-7533BB0EDE69.jpeg

Thanks! I can't seem to find the mopar additive here in Sweden but I have found the Ford one, Motorcraft XL3 right? Otherwise I find a lot of other brands, redline etc. As well as 80w90 mineral oil already containing the additive from Sunoco and Ardeca.

Is it better to add the additive by myself so I can dose it properly?

And he's correct.

What kind of oil should be used with an Auburn limited-slip differential/ Auburn Select-A-Loc differential?
Non-synthetic 80w90 GL-5 oil treated with Auburn Gear friction additive, part #504102 (also known as a friction modifier). See Catalog page 32. Three (3) ounces of additive will treat one quart of oil. GM or Ford limited-slip additive may be used. We do not recommend synthetic oil. Auburn limited-slip additive is packed in every box with the differential.

https://auburngear.com/faqs/

Cass aka Dr Diff recommends the Motorcraft. Can be bought at any Ford dealer for around $8.00
310v1CgXLYL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Friction modifier is for clutch plates. no clutch plates = no modifier.
Agreed.

Regular gear oil is fine, I would use 80/90 over there.

FSM called for a special oil for all SG-equipped axles up to '68, in '69 they spec'd the standard oil for all axles except the clutch sure grips in the Dana and 9-1/4.

Agree, no synthetic! If the customer insisted, my friend would warrantee his work for six inches/six seconds, which ever came first.
I have synthetic in a fresh Dana 70 that's supposed to have friction modifier in it already and the LSD chatters....and the gears have a faint whine from 55-65. Not many miles on it yet so I'm going to drain it and stick in regular gear oil and modifier. Did some research on it before doing it and well, there's about a 50/50 thought mix on the syn vs regular lube.

If it doesn't chatter. I've had some that did and some that didn't. I've tested out several over the years without the modifier and more than half of them didn't......
Are you saying that if it Cheddar's you should use friction modifiers? Cheddar's

If it doesn't chatter. I've had some that did and some that didn't. I've tested out several over the years without the modifier and more than half of them didn't......
Why would Auburn recommend modifiers for the cones?

Why would Auburn recommend modifiers for the cones?
The modern day Auburns are different than the factory style Borg Warner units but I don't know exactly how different they are. Have heard some complaints about them and also hear they're not as good as the original factory units. If Auburn recommends it, it's probably for a good reason. I have run some stock BW units without the additive and didn't see any unusual wear in them after a couple of years of pretty hard use but I'm also one that isn't going to abuse an LSD by nailing the gas when the rear tires are not on a similar surface.....ie, one tire on hard surface and the other not. Imo, that's one of the worse things you can do to one.

Auto Transport Service
Back