• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 diff colors

RT SE 440

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys i'm rebuilding my 8 3/4 at the moment and wondering the correct finishes i know the housing was black the center was iron finish but what was the brake backing plate the axle stud ends and the drum finishes the yoke end also what check markings and tags were used from factory thanks all

Bare metal for center housing, drums and yoke. Axle stud ends bare also. Drums could be sloppily brush painted red on face only for any rally type wheels.

The backing plates had a dry coating that was not black.

Bare metal for center housing, drums and yoke. Axle stud ends bare also. Drums could be sloppily brush painted red on face only for any rally type wheels.

The backing plates had a dry coating that was not black.
hello and thank you for your reply but what color is not black dry coat thanks

Phosphate coat so sort of a darker charcoal color. Check out dadsbee resto thread a great read lots and lots of info for you there. It's a sticky. Once you start reading you wont stop.

Rainbow rear, 66 RC's Belvedere II. Inspection marks.
RCB8.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back