• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 drain plug

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
As the title says. Has anyone done it to the rear?

I've done two with 1/8 NPT fittings at the bottom, near the seam that runs front to back. Both work fine. Just don't tap too deep with the NPT taps. Flush plugs with a recessed allen head work best.

Don't really see a need for one even after doing dozens of swaps. Do you want a drain for maintenance purposes or just trying not to make a mess when you change out a chunk?

Maintenance purposes mainly

Maintenance purposes mainly
I like to take a look at what's inside too so when I change oil for maintenance, I'll also drop the drive shaft and replace the u-joints and check the axle bearings and seals but I've never really had any car with an 8 3/4 that I left alone for more than a few years. I was always playing with different gear ratios. Usually, rear ends will go for a long time without an oil change but rear ends with the Track Lok limited slip units seem to produce a lot of junk and I'll dig into those much sooner. The Power Lok and the Borg Warner type Sure Grips don't do that. The open rear in my Dakota hasn't been opened up in 21 years :grin: and I'm almost afraid to open it up lol

I like to take a look at what's inside too so when I change oil for maintenance, I'll also drop the drive shaft and replace the u-joints and check the axle bearings and seals but I've never really had any car with an 8 3/4 that I left alone for more than a few years. I was always playing with different gear ratios. Usually, rear ends will go for a long time without an oil change but rear ends with the Track Lok limited slip units seem to produce a lot of junk and I'll dig into those much sooner. The Power Lok and the Borg Warner type Sure Grips don't do that. The open rear in my Dakota hasn't been opened up in 21 years :grin: and I'm almost afraid to open it up lol

Thanks for the input, Cranky. I have a Tru Trac in mine and have no miles yet on it so I thought it be like the oil, kinda want to keep track if something is in there that's not suppose to be

Drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom. Get a Home Depot 1/2" pipe female coupler. Cut it in half and weld to the bottom. Use a 1/2" allen pipe plug. 15 minute job, less than $10.
Doug

Drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom. Get a Home Depot 1/2" pipe female coupler. Cut it in half and weld to the bottom. Use a 1/2" allen pipe plug. 15 minute job, less than $10.
Doug
Dang, you're fast! It would take me 15 minutes just to get my welding machine out near the vehicle to use it! lol

LOL, Mines always plugged in ready to go. I'm assuming a drained empty housing.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back