• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Limit?

Hemi31

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Charger with a Gen3 Hemi,727 with A&A valvebody and brake. Makes around 500
/450 to the tire and plan on a 200 shot of nitrous. The rear is the factory 8 3/4 housing, 489 case,3.23 gear and moser axles. Before go and spend $2800 on a Dana60 will the 8 3/4 survive or am I right in thinking it will be scrap in a hurry?

The ring gear will deflect and you will transform it into scrap metal fast.
why would you want to put that much HP and torque into a 3:23 gear?
The Dana is heavier, but will take the punishment.

The ring gear will deflect and you will transform it into scrap metal fast.
why would you want to put that much HP and torque into a 3:23 gear?
The Dana is heavier, but will take the punishment.
i didnt, just verifying before I destroy my current budget. Just keep it off the track till I can afford a 60

The 8-3/4 is worth something now. If you destroy it, it will be worthless.
the extra cash will help you offset the cost of the Dana.

yup,thats why i asked

I went to build my 8 3/4 to handle the power of my new stroker motor when I called dr diff about parts he asked about power I told him then I bought a s60 lol. No way it’ll last with sticky tires and some traction.

B4752C5A-A739-4CDA-8130-5939BEA3D6FD.jpeg

Maybe I am lucky, but I have probably made a few thousand passes since '72 and I still use the original housing that came in my GTX. I've changed the third member a couple times, for gear upgrades with a best of 10.34 and 60ft at 1.43.
Bob :moparsmiley:

Maybe I am lucky, but I have probably made a few thousand passes since '72 and I still use the original housing that came in my GTX. I've changed the third member a couple times, for gear upgrades with a best of 10.34 and 60ft at 1.43.
Bob :moparsmiley:
I would say you're blessed! Just out of curiosity, what does your car weigh?

On the street they'll go forever. At the track 11.0@3800 will usually survive quite awhile with an auto trans.
Doug

Cranky, Thanks for asking and the last time it was weighed. #3460
A buddy and I ran a car that was lighter but we were running a 4 speed in it. Low 11's was the braking point but it was being launched at 6k. After going through several gear sets, in went a 60 and the breaking of gears stopped. The car was right around 3200 iirc at that point....

I've broke 2 sets of Dana gears in mine. 3340 lbs foot brake, 1.2x 60 ft. The 1st set was a Motive street gear. Went about 425 passes, then bent the teeth. Second set was a off brand cheapy. went 125 passes and broke 2 pinion teeth. This time it's getting a US Gear Pro gear set. My street car runs 11.0@3875lbs It has had the same 8 3/4 for years. Though probably less than 200 strip passes.
Doug

My 63 is also a street car that still has an 8-3/4 in it. The 8-3/4 has been in it with me driving it on the street since 2006 behind my 500 hp 440 and since 2011 behind my 600 hp (or around that) 493. But I only race about once a year and usually only put from 3 to 6 passes on it. I don't run it hard or race it on the street. I just went racing 2 weeks ago and put three passes on it. Usually runs 10.80's with 10.70's best. If I had the money it would already have a Dana in it. I feel lucky its been holding up fine but every time I go racing I worry about it. Ron

My 63 is also a street car that still has an 8-3/4 in it. The 8-3/4 has been in it with me driving it on the street since 2006 behind my 500 hp 440 and since 2011 behind my 600 hp (or around that) 493. But I only race about once a year and usually only put from 3 to 6 passes on it. I don't run it hard or race it on the street. I just went racing 2 weeks ago and put three passes on it. Usually runs 10.80's with 10.70's best. If I had the money it would already have a Dana in it. I feel lucky its been holding up fine but every time I go racing I worry about it. Ron
Good info 383. Nice to hear everyones opinion.

I've broke 2 sets of Dana gears in mine. 3340 lbs foot brake, 1.2x 60 ft. The 1st set was a Motive street gear. Went about 425 passes, then bent the teeth. Second set was a off brand cheapy. went 125 passes and broke 2 pinion teeth. This time it's getting a US Gear Pro gear set. My street car runs 11.0@3875lbs It has had the same 8 3/4 for years. Though probably less than 200 strip passes.
Doug
We used the Pro gears too and I'm thinking 425 passes with the Motives is pretty good.

To me, peace of mind is worth the extry $$$. It doesn't happen too often but a rear can grenade and lock up if it does lock up, you're just along for the ride.....and those walls ain't cheap.

You don't need to spend $2800 on a Dana!

I cut the full floating ends off a truck axle, had 8 3/4 ends welded on and installed Dr. Diff axles and a spool with the stock 3.54 gear.

I have well under $1k in mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back