• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 or Dana

YellowDodge67

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
So I may have blown up my stock rear in my car last night. I'm going to take it apart to see exactly what broke but I'm thinking of upgrading anyway. (741 open diff with 2.94 gears) I was thinking about using a 489 case in an A-body width 8 3/4 housing as a "poor mans" narrowed rear to make more tire clearance. I didn't think they were much narrower but a local guy with a 67 Coronet said that's what he's running and fits a 315/60-15 with a mini tub and relocated springs.

My other option is possibly a Dana for strength. The problem is trying to find one that is already set up for a b-body , or getting one out of a truck then cutting it down and building it anyway or buying an S60 from Strange which are all expensive options. I do like the removable third member of the 8 3/4 and I don't think you can get a smaller gear than a 3.54 for a Dana. I want to stay between 2.94 and 3.23 ideally.

Or... for now I can just fix whatever is broken in my rear and maybe put a 489 case and posi unit in lol.

Basically is an 8 3/4 worth putting money into to hold up to high horsepower and torque levels (700-1000rwhp) or is a Dana required?

9" Ford. You get ANYTHING for one.

Answer to you last question :No. Yes, or an alternative such as the Ford unit. (And, in Mopar world, it's sure-grip, not GM posi )

vladimir-putin-eating-popcorn.jpg

9" Ford. You get ANYTHING for one.

Answer to you last question :No. Yes, or an alternative such as the Ford unit. (And, in Mopar world, it's sure-grip, not GM posi )

So 8 3/4 is a no go? Not that I have anything against Ford but I was trying to keep it as Mopar themed as possible especially since I may be putting a th400 or 4l80e in it which I'm not enthusiastic about (not wild about Chevys but trans options are scarce)

8 3/4 WITH A TRANS Brake running 10.36 in the 1/4 @129 MPH, billet caps, 35 spline axel, back brace, Calvert leaf springs.

I have a friend who just told me he blew the 8 3/4 out of his A-Body with only 600HP. But he did it with 11" slicks at the drag strip......AND IN ADDITION... after he fixed the rear end he fired up the motor and the car still didn't move....When the rear end blew it also took out the torqueflite.
Spend $3000 now and get a DANA and never look back...that is what I did.
I bought a housing at the junk yard out of a 1 Ton Dodge Pickup, took it the rear end shop who specializes in building rear ends. They ordered all MOSER Parts, including axles, etc, narrowed the Dodge Pickup Housing and it was a turn key setup for $3000.00. It also included forged Pinion Yoke and 1350 U-Joint on the rear and then after I got the car back I took my driveshaft to the driveshaft business and had them put on a 1350 forged slip yoke on the front of the drive shaft which was a brand new DOM 3" driveshaft. I can now not worry about any of that.
I run a transbrake and launch at 4000RPM off the brake and run 10.19's at 131+. Car Weighs 3800 pounds with me and 5 gallons of gas. I have a best 60' of 1.40.
The only way to go is the correct way the first time.

Similar in design, the Dana 61 was available with lower gearsets. 3.07 and 3.31 are common.
But I'd look into a 9 1/4" as well.

Dana here also. Unless you can find some good equipment at a great price I think I would go the S-60 .

Last edited:
9-1/4’s come in trucks and late B bodies. In example my 9-1/4 came from a ‘78 Cordoba with a P code 400 B engine. I do not know when they first came out in the cars.

I have not noticed many HP/Race parts for them.

Oh! Ether a Dana or Ford 9 is the way to go for big power.

You are asking for help but never mentioned the vehicle or the weight of it. How can anyone help when you provide so little info?

for that much h-p i would go with the 9" myself. i put a dana 60 in the hemi coronet and a 9" in the chevelle with much bigger power, both new from moser. definitely not cheap but the last one's i will have to buy.
-
i know i am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but why are looking for those gears, "I want to stay between 2.94 and 3.23 ideally." with that much power. both mine are 3;90 or 3;91?? and o/d tranny's and i am barely over 2000rpm at 60mph. if i ordered again i might consider 3;70's at the least.

Last edited:
I have a friend who just told me he blew the 8 3/4 out of his A-Body with only 600HP. But he did it with 11" slicks at the drag strip......AND IN ADDITION... after he fixed the rear end he fired up the motor and the car still didn't move....When the rear end blew it also took out the torqueflite.
Spend $3000 now and get a DANA and never look back...that is what I did.
I bought a housing at the junk yard out of a 1 Ton Dodge Pickup, took it the rear end shop who specializes in building rear ends. They ordered all MOSER Parts, including axles, etc, narrowed the Dodge Pickup Housing and it was a turn key setup for $3000.00. It also included forged Pinion Yoke and 1350 U-Joint on the rear and then after I got the car back I took my driveshaft to the driveshaft business and had them put on a 1350 forged slip yoke on the front of the drive shaft which was a brand new DOM 3" driveshaft. I can now not worry about any of that.
I run a transbrake and launch at 4000RPM off the brake and run 10.19's at 131+. Car Weighs 3800 pounds with me and 5 gallons of gas. I have a best 60' of 1.40.
The only way to go is the correct way the first time.
agree w/ this post! I started blowing 8 3/4`s every other week end, back in the day, a dana 60 solved all problems.

Does any one make a 2.94-3.23ish ratio for a Dana? Seems like 3.54 is the lowest (numerically) they go

Ford trucks used to have a higher gear for the Dana. It was a 3.33 ratio. However, I've never been able to find a new one.
Lower the number = higher[or taller] the gear, for those who haven't been told.

Auto Transport Service
Back