• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Sure grip gear ratio help

Hemi2Much

Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
I pulled the rear end apart today to replace axle bearings and work on the brakes.
These are the gears he was running in the SS Coronet Hemi car.
Can someone tell me what gear ratio it is?
On the big ring, the first #'s are 5007
Then a space and what looks like HW7R
then a space and the last set of #'s are 8620
On the SureGrip its self these are the #s 8 19 1 B
space and 22685 X
Is this a 5.07 gear ratio?

processed-e99a45c6-c01a-4451-946c-caea623bf22e_kOhKGgzP.jpeg processed-34f02819-ae1a-4263-ae34-0528e3787fe6_GXbufoAG (1).jpeg processed-c16443f8-5181-4945-aa25-fff1fd6ce9b2_2rFichB9 (1).jpeg processed-c4f39dcf-3e96-4d24-8a67-3c72ac8f3769_z8qpWfQv.jpeg processed-de712e6f-da79-40bf-83d5-c609ce746fda_29rokxWM.jpeg processed-25141e2a-9c0a-4ad6-bcbf-a94d719d4f27_SB7ocfLR (2).jpeg

It is a thick ring gear so it's a pretty stout ratio. Count the teeth on each gear divide the number of ring gear teeth by the number of pinion teeth.
Mike

Roll it further around, you're not at the ratio number yet..
That is the only thing stamped on the ring gear. I have turned that gear at least 20 times looking and I see nothing else.

It is a thick ring gear so it's a pretty stout ratio. Count the teeth on each gear divide the number of ring gear teeth by the number of pinion teeth.
Mike
I will try that tomorrow. Thanks

22685X is the Dana assembly number for the Powr-Lok assembly.
8620 is the alloy of the ring & pinion
8 19 1 B is the date of manufacture for the Powr-Lok case. (Aug 19 '61)
5007 is more likely the ring gear I.D. number from the manufacturer of the gear set. It looks like an aftermarket ring & pinion. The ratio is probably not stamped or marked on the gear set. You'll have to do it the old fashioned way by counting the teeth. :thumbsup:

22685X is the Dana assembly number for the Powr-Lok assembly.
8620 is the alloy of the ring & pinion
8 19 1 B is the date of manufacture for the Powr-Lok case. (Aug 19 '61)
5007 is more likely the ring gear I.D. number from the manufacturer of the gear set. It looks like an aftermarket ring & pinion. The ratio is probably not stamped or marked on the gear set. You'll have to do it the old fashioned way by counting the teeth. :thumbsup:
It is an aftermarket gear set. He changed it when he set the car up to run Super Stock. Could the date be 71 instead of 61? this is a 1966 car.

It is an aftermarket gear set. He changed it when he set the car up to run Super Stock. Could the date be 71 instead of 61? this is a 1966 car.

That type of differential case wasn't used in '71. A '71 or '72 model year sure grip would have been the Borg-Warner cone clutch style. Since it sounds like it was used in a race car, it was probably attained from a donor third member back in the day.

I finally got back out to the garage to work on the coronet some more today.
I had to take a break for a few days, the wife had to have emergency surgery on both eyes for detached retinas
I counted the teeth on the gears and this is what I came up with.
43 on the big ring gear
8 on the pinion gear
5.37 gear ratio.

Holy cow on two fronts! First, I hope your wife is ok. Is her eyesight going to be ok? My son has had detached retinas in both eyes (not simultaneously) and it seems like a pretty horrifying experience. His eyes turned out ok, it seems the docs are pretty good at dealing with this these days. I wish her well.

The second holy cow is that ratio! My goodness, 5.37:1? Lotta revs at the end of the quarter with that!

Holy cow on two fronts! First, I hope your wife is ok. Is her eyesight going to be ok? My son has had detached retinas in both eyes (not simultaneously) and it seems like a pretty horrifying experience. His eyes turned out ok, it seems the docs are pretty good at dealing with this these days. I wish her well.

The second holy cow is that ratio! My goodness, 5.37:1? Lotta revs at the end of the quarter with that!

We do not know why this happened, She started having trouble with her vision and she went to the eye doctor to get checked out. Her right retina had completely detached and her left retina had partially detached. She got simple laser surgery on her left eye. The right eye was a lot worse. They reattached the retina and did laser and then drained the fluid from her eye and replaced it with nitrous. Over time the Nitrous dissolves and is replaced with the fluid that normally fills the eye. she had to keep her head down and sleep on her stomach for 2 weeks. Lots of different kinds of eye drops. Her vision in her left eye is back to normal but the right eye is still only about 25% She is doing much better and thank you for asking.
As for the gears in the Coronet. He bracket raced the car in 1/8th mile I'm pretty sure. Can't imagine a 5.37 gear in the 1/4 mile. Still a very low gear and nothing I will be able to use. I'm hoping to reuse the Sure Grip and just regearing it.

I have had several retina tears fixed with a laser, plus a couple YAG procedures, and two cataract surgeries. The most recent was a detachment that the first surgery didn't fix. Second time, the vision came back clearer than the other... but the focal length is off. I'm 6'3" so when I look at my feet with one eye, they look 5 feet away, like they should. The detached eye sees them seven feet away. I have to close one eye to read or type on my phone.
Prayers for your wife's successful recovery.

I have had several retina tears fixed with a laser, plus a couple YAG procedures, and two cataract surgeries. The most recent was a detachment that the first surgery didn't fix. Second time, the vision came back clearer than the other... but the focal length is off. I'm 6'3" so when I look at my feet with one eye, they look 5 feet away, like they should. The detached eye sees them seven feet away. I have to close one eye to read or type on my phone.
Prayers for your wife's successful recovery.
Best of luck with your vision!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back