• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75 rear axle question

As pointed out this is a driver...nothing special. I don't have any issues doing it either way. The setup I
linked above just seems cleaner/easier and maybe less likely to leak in the future.
Was asking to see if maybe was overlooking something.
Didn't know ( new here ) that it was going to be a beat the dead horse type of thing....should
I ask a "oil question " also....just kidding, I'm not that dumb.
Thanks
Dave

I am a timken guy, but If you do go with the green bearings, do not use the ones with the attached flanges. Get them from Dr Diff.

Wasnt there a thread on this forum about someone whose "green" bearings self-destructed in about 20 miles?

Aha - yeah there's a TON of posts on this the OP could scan. The views on tapered vs sealed bearings reminds me of the PF, lol.

The stock tapered bearings ARE an upgrade. Chrysler did it for us! Don’t look for anything else. If you can’t figure out how to adjust them ask the question. It’s as easy as falling off a log.

If you are wanting opinions I will give you mine..,,,First are you sure its axle bearings??? After confirming its axle bearings, I would replace with the stock style quality taper bearings, set preload and live a happy life!!!! IMHO,,,,

If you have a daily driver use the Timken tapered bearings. You should consider if the pinion bearing is the issue.

Taper is a better bearing then a ball bearing for side loads and carry capacity if they both have the same number of rollers and measurements are the same through out... 50 years is tough to beat, get made in USA Timken not the koyo ones in Timken boxes... Koyo bought Timken .

Ok....tapered it is. As mentioned I'd do it either way.
Pretty sure it's an axle bearing, previous owner had adjusted them ( without
pulling and cleaning/packing them ) to "zero" or less end play. I backed the adjuster
off to about .010 freeplay and noted the one side leaking. Noise substantially reduced
but still there with very slight cornering or side load, differing depending which side
of the car I load.
It's not the front wheels.
Sorry for digging up the previously beaten horse !
Thanks
Dave

The lack of end play adj if it had been driven much could have damaged the bearings. This alone would prompt me to remove them and inspect. Rear wheel bearings (which side) can be sometimes identified by driving the car around l&r curves or cornering - as for the rear end gears, a skanky ring/pinion can give off a wobbling sound, such as like spinning a dinner plate set on a table unevenly if you get the idea. Other thing trying to ID a possible bearing noise issue is to put the car in neutral while cruising to see if sound you're hearing disappears.

Ahh...green bearings? My 1st set went kaput after some 800 miles, I'm on the 2nd set and have maybe 1200 on those and so far so good. Scuttle butt was some earlier ones were bad. If these go, I'm going to go back to what mom mopar had. I can be gullible sometimes from bud's suggestions - was no friggin reason to change; but when putting in a different gear set made da change.

Auto Transport Service
Back