• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75 to Dana 60 Swap Driveshaft

tnfastback

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
Went to put driveshaft in car today, which was already shortened to 50.5, and it is about 1.5” to long. The driveshaft shop did change the end ears to a 1350 style so the u joint would be 1350/1350 instead of 1310/1350. It’s a standard S-60 case and the only thing added when ordered was a Chromoly 1350 pinion yoke. I also installed 2” lowering blocks which are angle cut to keep a truer driveline angle. Going to have driveshaft shortened and balanced again, but was just curious why the 50.5” everyone else has had success with came out too long on my build.
And yes I know I should have waited until everything was installed to get a true driveshaft measurement :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The front slip yoke goes all the way in and the front ears hit the back of the transmission. The back lacks about 1/16” of falling in rear pinion saddles.

0665CF90-D52F-44BF-AED1-6F3DCC2D4A52.jpeg CDDF9A36-ACFC-42E4-BC1B-6720330E8DCD.jpeg

Dodge front spring hanger would move axle back 1" I believe . What happen to angle of rear shackles I don't know.

I am lucky to have a driveshaft shop in town so I am going to let him cut and balance again. I was just curious why after cutting it 1 1/16” the first round to the 50.5” length I am still long. No big deal really. Maybe my car shrank :D

I agree with you, your measurements should have worked for your car. They did on my '70, I used a tape and had the driveshaft cut 1 1/10" and it worked out just fine.

I would compress that dust boot by shoving the yoke into the transmission farther and see how you fit, if compressing the dust boot to install shaft bothers you get a seal without the boot. Is the slip yoke the original long style?

Last edited:
I thought I had figured it out yesterday. I put new leaf springs in the car and thought maybe I had purchased super stock springs which are 2” shorter from the front eye of the leaf to the pin location at shock plate. Went over and measured and the distance was 22” like a B body is supposed to be. Took driveshaft to be cut an balanced yesterday. Driveshaft shop said I was overthinking the process. I am going to end up about 49” CL to CL at the u joints. What makes no sense is that my wheels are centered in the wheel well, so the differential is not sitting closer to the front. I decided to cut it and after installing in car and taking a few easy rounds around town to check the run out again. If it changes to where I have to much play I am going to get a new driveshaft made.

Auto Transport Service
Back