• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.75 yoke/u joint questions

daytona kid

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to put my drive shaft in and keep running into problems. All I have left to figure out is how to secure the straps that hold the rear u joint (7260/7290= napa#347) to the rear end yoke. Do I need some u bolt type retainers? The holes in the yoke do not appear to be threaded, but they seem kinda small fo a u type. Has someone drilled the threads out for me? I bought this chunk used and recently noticed it has a problem. The yoke is stuck, I tried to impact the nut off without success. You can see where some idiot beat on it with a hammer trying to get it loose. So if I can't come up with something to hold the straps on or put u bolts in I'm screwed. Anyone put bolts all the way thru with nuts on the back? Any schooling is appreciated.

20190716_193709.jpg

It should have 1/4-28 threads AKA 1/4" fine thread... That's a 489 case so it has a crush sleeve... You don't want to loosen the pinion nut unless you know the idiosyncrasies of working on a 489 case..

If somebody drilled out threads run 1/4-28 grade bolts and nuts with lock washers. If fastenal is in your area they sell grade 8 nylon lock bolts. U bolts can be over tightened and distort cup causing premature wear/failure. MO

It should have 1/4-28 threads AKA 1/4" fine thread... That's a 489 case so it has a crush sleeve... You don't want to loosen the pinion nut unless you know the idiosyncrasies of working on a 489 case..
The threads on the big yoke nut aren't backwards are they?, not that it matters since I'm not taking it off now., just curious..

You should use a puller to remove the yoke so as not to damage the roller bearings.
Mike

I would pull the center section completely apart to see what you really have going on. That nut could very well be stripped or rusted on there. To get that nut off " heat always works" Get the NUT red hot then use your impact . The yoke should then tap off with a BRASS hammer. If not use a puller.

Back to using that yoke, I've done what Fran said above. Drill thru with nut on the back.On some yokes the back is not flat so you may have to finish grind it flat. I went thru this on a Jeep that had the threads messed up.

If you end up removing the nut find somebody with a 3/4 drive breaker bar and socket. On my 742 needed that and a 3 foot bar to loosen nut. Tried 1/2 b bar, would've broke it.

This has been posted before about 489's. Mark the nut and yoke so when you put nut back on you known where tight WAS. Then tighten a little more to crush the sleeve more. If you have third member out of car you can do crush sleeve eliminator . Its a little hard to set pinion preload.

This has been posted before about 489's. Mark the nut and yoke so when you put nut back on you known where tight WAS. Then tighten a little more to crush the sleeve more. If you have third member out of car you can do crush sleeve eliminator . Its a little hard to set pinion preload.

Not quite correct... You mark the pinion shaft & nut, then count the turns when you back the pinion nut off....
If you mark the nut & yoke as you suggest the yoke can change position & you'll destroy the pinion bearings...
Also "tighten a little more to crush the sleeve more" can/will also take out the pinion bearings...
The preferred method is to remove the front pinion bearing & add a .005 shim behind the bearing so the sleeve gets crushed further..
And last "If you have third member out of car you can do crush sleeve eliminator" Well thats true, but the third member has to come completely apart to install a crush sleeve eliminator, the crush sleeve is to big to come out of the front pinion bearing hole....

Thought I missed something, thank for the correction .

Glad to be able to help, I don't mean to come off as the newbie know it all, but I did make a living keeping these things on the road so I feel I can provide good info... Oh, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last year...LOL..

Glad to be able to help, I don't mean to come off as the newbie know it all, but I did make a living keeping these things on the road so I feel I can provide good info... Oh, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last year...LOL..
Everybody was a newbie once. If you post something wrong and get offended you've got a problem, unless they call you a dumb ***.

Everybody was a newbie once. If you post something wrong and get offended you've got a problem, unless they call you a dumb ***.
I've called a few people dumbasses, but they had to earn it.... I try to be nice.... Until I can't anymore.... I think most of us grumpy old guys are that way... LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back