• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

81 Challenger built by Mitsubishi?

PlagueOfBadgers

Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
dims.jpeg

dims (1).jpeg

dims (2).jpeg

Link to story and pics.
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/08/17/junkyard-gem-1981-dodge-challenger/

I saw a blue one on 275 in Tampa about 1991 while driving my Bee.

Noticed it had 2" dual exhaust but still had factory wheels.

When I tried to get along side to ask about it, I saw the driver downshift and it left me.

One of the very few times that Bee got beat.

Had to assume a v8 transplant of some sort, but VERY stealthy.

Never saw it again.

Any Tampa guys remember it?

My brother is building a 5.2 powered Starion wide body (same a Chrysler Conquest TSI)

Talk about an assault on a name plate. The balls of em.

Chrysler owned a portion of Diamond Star Motors, hence the Mitsubishi built cars with Chrysler name plates. It went from the mid 70's through the 90's. I owned a Conquest in 1989. Fast little turbo car and a blast to drive, but there was nothing Chrysler about it except the name.

My brother is building a 5.2 powered Starion wide body (same a Chrysler Conquest TSI)
My best friend has a 85 Starion flatty with a high compression 1969 318, 340 heads, 4bbl and a mild cam w/headers backed by a 904 auto.
He's building a 89 Conquest TSi with a 2JZ Toyota inline 6 with a nice single turbo. It is going to be a monster!
This one is OUTRAGEOUS!
9.2@140mph in the 1320!
Same color as the one I had (Fiji Blue)

A friend owned one of those mitsu "challengers", bought it new. Shortly after, four of us in his car going somewhere (maybe vegas, don't remember) at oh-dark-thirty in the middle of the desert in the winter. The two of us in the back were breathing enough to fog the window, so the owner turned on that electric strip in the back window. Two minutes later the back window exploded, the shattered pieces blowing al over the highway. Finished the trip with no back window and 40° weather.
I was never a fan of mitsu's much.

These were great little cars, but not a great challenger. It was the Sapporo in Japan and that was the Plymouth version. Dated a girl with a Sapporo back in the day and liked beating that car up. It was fun to drive hard.

The 2.6 SOHC Mitsu motor came in the Plymouth "Fire Arrow". Non-turbo, only 105 HP, but the 305?/350? V8 in a Camaro in 1980 was only 190 HP.
The stock HP on a 2.6 turbo was 178 IIRC, and fairly torquey.
I turned the boost up from 10.5 to 17 with the tiny stock 13a Mitsu turbo and it really came alive. I had a lot of other supporting performance parts in it to back that up, and a "sweet 16 " turbo to go in it but never got around to it before I sold it.
Truth be told, I would love to have a 2JZ 88-89 Conquest TSi!

I kinda sorta wish diamond star was still around. I had a Plymouth laser that I loved dearly.

I would like one of those challengers
Just for a large flower pot
Cut the roof off and grow elephant ears
Or something out of it.
Restoring one of those would be a nightmare I would imagine

I saw an experimental hemi RB? IIRC at LaPlace Dragway back in 78. Sox and Martin. I know it wasn't a Gen II hemi, and it wound up blowing the motor after a few rounds, but it set a record in time trials that day. It was in an Arrow body.
Here's Ronnie Sox Arrow...with a Hemi!
Screenshot_20180818-142119_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180818-142151_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back