• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

833 bayonet shifter

Longknife

Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score
I don't like the "play" in this factory style bayonet handle. Shifter handle, shifter, shift rods and trans levers are all new., Trying to tighten it up a bit. Has anyone drilled the Bayonet shifter and shifter and bolted the handle in solid to take out the play. Did it drill easy? It appears to be hardened steel to me! I know they make a kit to replace with it with a bolt in style. I have the trans out right now so I thought ....Hmm.... Why not? ,,,Thanks!!

Yes the shifter housing is case hardened.

Yes you can bolt the shifter handle right to the shifter and get rid the rubber bullsh*t.

The case hardening doesn't go very deep, you'll need to grind into the shifter where you want to drill. A dremmel tool with a cut off wheel will work good for this, it will be more precise. once you grind the spot you want to drill a good bit and some lube will cut through it.

Auto Transport Service
Back