• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9/16" tie rods, Fast Ratio arms, etc...

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
I recently parted out a 1970 Polara and saved a few of the parts that are not likely to sell online or at swap meets. I saved the 9/16" tie rod sleeves and ends and the Idler arm.
I recall that the 9/16" tie rod was an upgrade for the A-B-E crowd over the smaller 1/2" stuff we had originally. The sleeves from the C body are longer than my stock ones in the Charger. It looks like they are threaded the entire way through from end to end. I am thinking of cutting them to the length of the Charger sleeves. Anyone else here have good luck doing this?
I am not against buying new stuff, I just LOVE finding ways to improve things by using a little creativity.
I already have the Fast Ratio idler and Pitman arms in my '70 Charger....BUT the idler arm from this Polara is LONGER than any stock Idler arm I have in my parts stash. As I am typing this I am kicking my *** because I did NOT check the length on the Pitman arm from that car...I just scrapped it. What if they are a CHEAP substitute for the Fast Ratio arms? The Idler is about 3/4" to 1" longer than an A or B idler arm.
I may put the Charger up on the lift tomorrow to compare the Idler arms. I wonder if I just stumbled onto something cool!

Mopar Action had a great write up on B/C swaps many years ago. I think you would have to pay Ebooger to get a copy.

I wonder if it would help to weld up the wide open section of the sleeve between the ends of the tie rod shafts. Maybe leave 1/2" or so to allow adjustment.
I know there are guys like me that love to tinker with stuff rather than to just spend the money on new stuff.

I wouldn't fool with the original sleeves, they are a weak link in your suspension especially if you run larger tires on your car. That is why some B body guys upgrade to the larger C Body tie rod ends and solid adjuster sleeves that are 11/16 inch diameter and is twice as rigid compared to the 9/16 inch B Body tie rod ends. The solid sleeves are way stronger then stock, even if you use stock 9/16 tie rods it would be an upgrade!!

Back in the 80's, I put C body idler and pitman arms on my 74 Road Runner. I also have a 65 Sport Fury, which is how I came to notice the difference in the lengths of these things. I had to modify things to get them to fit, but I did get it to work. It has been so long ago that I don't remember the details, just that it was not a bolt in affair.
I also read an article years ago, about the T/A and AAR program, that mentioned using the C body pitman/idlers. Again, I don't remember the specifics.
Strange, I don't recall having a memory problem......
jus sayin

Auto Transport Service
Back