• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.25 drag race question

cbodybob

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
IMG_5486.JPG
New car I bought LAST SUMMER & still have not taken it down the track. 77 Plymouth Fury 400 big block 727. Rear is a 9.25 with a 4.10 sure grip. I have not scalled the car heck it ain't left my shop yet, but I think with me in it around 3800 pounds. Ok the season is about to open in a few weeks. The guy I bought the car from said it ran 8 0's in the eight. Will this rear survive untill I can get it to the chassis shop. I just want to run it some to see what I bought & what direction I need to go with it.

It'll be fine. I didn't know they made a 4.10 for a 9.25. I thought the top ratio availible was a 3.91. Anyway plenty strong enough. Heck the ring gear is second in diameter to only a Dana. Larger than a 8 3/4, Ford or GM 12 bolt.
Doug

It'll be fine. I didn't know they made a 4.10 for a 9.25. I thought the top ratio availible was a 3.91. Anyway plenty strong enough. Heck the ring gear is second in diameter to only a Dana. Larger than a 8 3/4, Ford or GM 12 bolt.
Doug
Yea Randy's Ring & Pinion & one other makes gears all the way to 5.13. I think it may be Dr Diff. Anyway I'm more concerned about the C clip axels breaking. I agree the ring gear should be more than enough at my power level

If it has a crush sleeve eliminator it will be fine and the axles are plenty strong.

Crush sleeve is a collapsible spacer that sets pinion bearing preload and is prone to loosening. An eliminator kit replaces it with a solid machined collar and shims. This is a weak point of a 9.25 along with the OEM differential case.

View attachment 395752 New car I bought LAST SUMMER & still have not taken it down the track. 77 Plymouth Fury 400 big block 727. Rear is a 9.25 with a 4.10 sure grip. I have not scalled the car heck it ain't left my shop yet, but I think with me in it around 3800 pounds. Ok the season is about to open in a few weeks. The guy I bought the car from said it ran 8 0's in the eight. Will this rear survive untill I can get it to the chassis shop. I just want to run it some to see what I bought & what direction I need to go with it.
I have been running a 9 1/4 for a long time in a mid 10 second car. Next strongest thing to a dana 60. You will never break it.

2014-06-29 02.48.12.jpg

I have been running a 9 1/4 for a long time in a mid 10 second car. Next strongest thing to a dana 60. You will never break it.

View attachment 398582
Have you beefed it up any
Nope. There is nothing you need to do to the housing. I run Yukon gears. The only draw back to that diff is that no one makes a spool for it yet. Many different types of posi units available for it though. Since mine is a race application only, I had my center section ( spiders and side gears) welded up.

diff.jpg

Nope. There is nothing you need to do to the housing. I run Yukon gears. The only draw back to that diff is that no one makes a spool for it yet. Many different types of posi units available for it though. Since mine is a race application only, I had my center section ( spiders and side gears) welded up.

View attachment 398724
That is good info. Thank you very much. Very cool car you have as well. Is that a small block car.

WOW you got it pretty lite. What did you do
Removed most the interior ( seats, counsel, dash, much wiring, all the HVAC, power steering, power brakes, inner fender panels, cruise control and wiper system, fuel tank for a 8 gal fuel cell, and replaced the 50 + lb front bumper with a 7.5 lb frt bumper. Probably dropped 75 lbs off the engine with aluminum heads and intake. Those were the big items I can think of. Car originally weighed 3960.

bumper.jpg magnafuel sys.jpg brake1.jpg fuel cell2.jpg

Removed most the interior ( seats, counsel, dash, much wiring, all the HVAC, power steering, power brakes, inner fender panels, cruise control and wiper system, fuel tank for a 8 gal fuel cell, and replaced the 50 + lb front bumper with a 7.5 lb frt bumper. Probably dropped 75 lbs off the engine with aluminum heads and intake. Those were the big items I can think of. Car originally weighed 3960.

View attachment 399033 View attachment 399034 View attachment 399035 View attachment 399036
You did good. Looks very nice. Mine has a big block. The guy I bought it from shed some weight. A lot more to go. I'm estimating 3700-3750

You did good. Looks very nice. Mine has a big block. The guy I bought it from shed some weight. A lot more to go. I'm estimating 3700-3750
Thanks Bob. Just remember, mine is a race only application. Don't loose sight of what you want to end up with in pursuit of a low ET. Always sacrifices involved if you are looking to have a dual purpose ( race / street ) car.

Vegas staging 2013.jpg

Thanks Bob. Just remember, mine is a race only application. Don't loose sight of what you want to end up with in pursuit of a low ET. Always sacrifices involved if you are looking to have a dual purpose ( race / street ) car.

View attachment 399081
Yea mine is race only also. It has a cage & open headers. No wiring. No interior.

Auto Transport Service
Back