• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 to 727 swap

Darryl

Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m switching my 318/904 set up too a 360/727 in my 73 charger. I have a 727 out of another charger and the correct driveshaft. What other linkages do I need to change? Is the cross memeber the same? I have to rent the lift so I need everything ready before I get under it.

I'd use the 904. It's lighter and quicker. Also there is a 2.74/1.54 gear set available pretty cheap. 727 needs an aproximately 4" shorter drive shaft and a different yoke. The linkage should be close. Cross member is the same. Make sure you have the correct balanced converter for a 360 no matter which option you chose.
Doug

Having gone from a 318/904 to 340/727 in my 73 Satellite, my advice is to make sure that you have and use the 727 shift lever and not transfer from your 904. That's what I did and I could never adjust it enough to have PRND21. Ended up with PRND2 until I finally realized and purchased the proper 727 lever. (I bought a 727 from a transmission shop and the lever wasn't included). My other advice is have your driveshaft balanced. Hope this helps.

Depending what the 727 came out of... some have a hd tailshaft that doesn't have the two ears for supporting the pivot arm for a console car. If dealing w Column shift...shouldn't matter.

904s are excellent transmissions, you can run big hp with minimal upgrades. We ran one behind a turbocharged small block....no problems.

Since the valve bodies are the same for 904/727 the shift lever should be the same.
Doug

Thankyou everyone, I was just concerned over the shifter linkages. All the parts I currently have are out of another 73 charger so it’ll all work without modifications, the driveshaft is 4 1/4in shorter than the 904 one. I’m staying with a 904 the only reason I’m switching the stuff out currently is because I have it laying around and the 904 has no reverse. Its my daily so I just need it back ASAP. The 904 is getting sent to cope to handle the 360 and more. The 727 didn’t have any shifter leverages so I have to get them, I’m assuming eBay would have them

Auto Transport Service
Back