• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 trans removal

joe m

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
When removing the trans in 73ssp does the torsion bar cross member have to come out. Have both engine and trans out now and was waiting for converter to install everything at once.getting impatient so might install engine now. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
No, the torsion bar cross member is welded in as part of the unibody. You only have to remove the transmission cross member to remove the transmission. 440'

I was going to say that the transmission is already out and the x-member is still in place. So...

Thanks for your help guys. Like I said have motor and trans out and want to start putting car back together and still waiting for converter. So I’m going to set engine in so I can start putting things back. Thanks again.

No, the torsion bar cross member is welded in as part of the unibody. You only have to remove the transmission cross member to remove the transmission. 440'
Incorrect. The 73-74 B body t bar crossmembers are bolted in , not welded. And it passes below the trans.

So can I install trans without taking t bar cross member out.

thanks , was what i was thinking would have to be done. I guess Ill wait for converter. im doing this in drive way

Auto Transport Service
Back