• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 with overdrive

erickson

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
Looking for help on what small block Transmission with overdrive should I use? What would be the easiest one to use it will be mounted behind a flat head six cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.

The above link is for GM trans use, but if you call, they might be able to make an adapter for the 518 transmission.

Quality Engineered Components has been doing these adapters for years. This page will aid you in deciding which transmission will best work for you: https://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=222
It also discusses transmission mount placement and 12V starters needed...in case you still have 6 Volts.
And here, I was just there the other day looking up some early hemi casting numbers. I keep forgetting about these guys.

The A500 would work fine. As would a GM 4L60. The 4L60 has a 3.07 1st gear which would be good for you.
Doug

Will a 500 or 518 require a change in drive shaft length?

Both the 500 and the 518 are longer and bulkier in the tail section. So yes the drive shaft needs to be shortened. Any unibody style Mopar will require torsion bar crossmember and floor pan modifications to clear. It’s a fairly complicated swap as far as metal fabrication is concerned.
Doug

Both the 500 and the 518 are longer and bulkier in the tail section. So yes the drive shaft needs to be shortened. Any unibody style Mopar will require torsion bar crossmember and floor pan modifications to clear. It’s a fairly complicated swap as far as metal fabrication is concerned.

Yeah, I've heard of the issues with the tranny tunnel, and the necessity of banging or hacking to make the OD unit fit. When the time comes (soon), I'm leaning hard toward the Gear Vendors unit... which, of course WILL require a shorter drive shaft.

I have the adapter already this is for my 36 Plymouth Street Rod
Changing the floor isn’t a big deal is there any advantage between the 500 and the 518? It currently has a manual five speed from A S10. With 3:91 gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back