• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

906 head question

iraqivet01

Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
I have a set of 906 heads that were purchased and installed by the last owner. (Arrow head racing). He had also installed a Mopar 474 purple cam, and a 1407 Edelbrock Carb (750 cfm)

I recently bought an Edelbrock RPM performer intake to replace the cast iron 4 barrel

My questions is:
Are these heads worth keeping or upgrading to Edelbrock, or Stealth heads?

I have heard pro's and con's on the Stealth heads. (Guy I got the intake from loved them, and said they were considerable cheaper.) I do know Edelbrock has a good rep on their quality and performance.

When the car is finished, I do want to run pump gas and making it street and highway friendly, but still would like to have somewhere between 400- 450 HP.
Will be running a 727 with a Gear vender overdrive with either the current 8 3/4 with 3.55 gears or the Dana 60 with 4.10 gears I picked up off craigslist.

I've run as fast as 10.50 with max ported 906's but the Eddy RPM heads will do that right out of the box. Basically, putting a ton of money into a cast iron stock head isn't worth it but it depends on what your combination is going to be. If you have a set of good stock heads and are not interested in maxing out the potential, then the cast iron heads can serve well too.

Thanks Cranky.
Guess I'll stick with the 906's for now, and maybe later upgrade to the edelbrock heads.
I'll just keep that on my "want" list. Got enough stuff to keep broke on my "need" list.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a Good used set before I get ready to reinstall the motor.

I think the plugs are angled on the Eddys and straight on the Stealth heads, so you might take that into consideration as well.

I hope this isnt too off-topic for this thread, but with the popularity of stroker motors, how big can a factory head be made to flow? At what cu. in. point would it be best to start with an aftermarket aluminum head?

I think the plugs are angled on the Eddys and straight on the Stealth heads, so you might take that into consideration as well.
The Eddys are angle plugs...don't know about the Stealth.

you're welcome

I hope this isnt too off-topic for this thread, but with the popularity of stroker motors, how big can a factory head be made to flow? At what cu. in. point would it be best to start with an aftermarket aluminum head?
I like to start thinking about aftermarket alloy heads when the price to re-do a set of stockers gets to the point that it makes sense to buy aftermarket. I was turning my 440 7300 in the lights and it was still pulling so if stock heads are done right, they can flow pretty good on a stroker that is run slower but with that said, the Eddys out of the box flowed just as much as my maxed out 906's did but the Eddys have a better port design and combustion chamber so they would most likely do better on the track. The flow bench is a good tool but real world track testing is the ultimate tool.

you should be able to easily do 425-450hp on 906's. edelbrocks are about $1500 now. having somebody go thru and correct them will get that price up around $1800. Hugh's has some pro-pocket iron heads for about $800 that will do o.k. with that cam and intake. the big issue i see with 906's is lack of quench, but thats solved with quench pistons.

you should be able to easily do 425-450hp on 906's. edelbrocks are about $1500 now. having somebody go thru and correct them will get that price up around $1800. Hugh's has some pro-pocket iron heads for about $800 that will do o.k. with that cam and intake. the big issue i see with 906's is lack of quench, but thats solved with quench pistons.

I see that Edelbrock has two different heads available for big blocks. Is the only difference the size (cc) of the combustion chamber, or is one better suited for a short block built with a tight quench?

the 88cc heads are for quench dome pistons. the 84cc heads are for flat tops or high compression dome pistons.

I've run as fast as 10.50 with max ported 906's but the Eddy RPM heads will do that right out of the box. Basically, putting a ton of money into a cast iron stock head isn't worth it but it depends on what your combination is going to be. If you have a set of good stock heads and are not interested in maxing out the potential, then the cast iron heads can serve well too.

Cmon cranky 10.5 straight outta the box? CNC ported maybe.

The Stealths come in at 80cc (according to them, YMMV)
its my understanding that the stealths actually cc at 84-86cc. they are chineses copies of 84cc edelbrocks with some cosmetic changes.

I am kind of new to all of this stuff but trying to learn and is it not true that because aluminum dissipates heat faster, you have to (or can) run a higher compression ratio? I am going to have to put 452 heads on my stroker for now and hope they work ok because this is my first build ever. Any advice on those heads would be much appreciated.

send the '452's out to a professional head shop and get them done. i don't buy into all the stuff that an aluminum head automatically needs a big compression jump. it just depends on what your doing and what kind of fuel your going to use. if your going to run pump gas build as much detonation resistance into the engine as you can. if all your going to do is race and there is no fuel restrictions than do the big compression jump. cylinder pressure is the key not compression ratio. i'm skeptical about a lot of the internet comments on high ratios and pump gas. to run higher numbers with 91-93 octane fuel a very well thought out combustion chamber and building in as much detonation resistance is necessary.

I'm currently running 12.80's with a 440 in a stock body 66 Plymouth. Heads are 915's and I'm running a cast iron intake with a 750 AFB. Iron heads are fine but by the time I had guides and seats put in, plus buying new valves, etc.. I may as well bought a set of aftermarket aluminum heads. I'm not complaining because I'm happy with the performance for what little has been done to the engine. So don't feel bad if you end up running 906 heads. They are just fine for a hot street engine.

The 452 heads don't have the same intake port configuration as the 915 or the 906 heads. The best production iron head to run is the 915 because of the closed chamber followed by the 906. Both of those heads have the same intake port configuration. The 452 heads have reverted back to the early flat floor intake ports as found on the 516's and early Max Wedge heads and that was probably an emission based decision. Even though flow bench numbers for 915 and 452 heads can be nearly identical that is not the end all be all in determining what works.

Cmon cranky 10.5 straight outta the box? CNC ported maybe.
I had them flowed along with my 906's before I sold the 906's. Flow numbers alone don't mean they will do it but when you compare them with a lesser head that is already well into the 10's....if you can't get into the mid to high 10's with out of the box Eddy's, you ain't tryin hard enough.

The 906 can be pushed into the 340 cfm range. On 9/22/2011 there was a 500ci stroker with 906 heads run on Comp Cams dyno. It was severely wounded the day before during the break-in procedure and was running leakdown percentages of 7%, 10%, 10%, 10%, 26%, 30%, 32% & 56%. It was still able to pull 730 HP @ 6,600 rpm on 93 octane.

340 CFM from 906's is really pushing them imo. Sonic testing would be a good idea before and during the porting process but that will add to the cost....

Auto Transport Service
Back