• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

92 needs a valve job

wyrmrider

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
92 Dakota needs a valve job
Kern Dog you have a 94 right
so no OBDII
I have a fresh .020 360 LA block with done rods and KB pistons so it might be time to do the upgrade (any thoughts on the lifters?)
I'm thinking I will sell the ported J heads and 308 heads I have and rebuild the Magnum heads
These heads were Direct Connection with springs that had a dampner and supposedly better valves
IDK casting number but will look soon after I do leak down test
318 has about 300k miles on it, 150-200k on these heads- stepfather overheated the factory heads and cracked them big time many years ago
I have the roller chain and tensioner but no other engine work
did change to the later dist cap and rotor
have a MP computer but don't use it
I tow, have oil cooler radiator is from a 73 New Yorker HD , tow pusher fans plus stock 9 blade
use 0w-40 euro spec full synthetic usually Mobile 1 or Penzoil Platinum- same MB-BMW spec
I still have access to machine shop, Serdi, line bore/hone etc
can't get too radical with Single Board computer- I can get a 360 computer
what would you do?

93 is OBD just not OBD-II. What year of LA block? 88 or 89s started using roller cams.

I don't think it's a roller block, it was for my 68 Dodge Polara Project
I have a pile of 360 blocks- I'll see if any of them are roller blocks- just take some time to machine one
I am sure I do not have any magnum blocks- maybe next half price sale at pick a part- they do seem plentiful in the yards
mine is 92 - I have to use a non OBS II scanner I'm thinking that if I added much in the way of power even a 360 SBEC would not map it aftermarket FI
trans is 518 or RH not RE so I can use a stick shift computer
truck is a 3.55 sure grip in the back- maremont 3" in 3" out motorhome turbo about 3 feet long- works good and lifetime warranty which as been done twice already

I am assuming your question about lifters refers to running Magnum heads on your LA 360. If so, you just need lifters that allow oiling through the pushrods and custom length pushrods, then you can bolt on the Magnum heads, rocker arms, and intake manifold with your fuel injection setup. If your budget allows, get an OB2 ECM and harness from a truck at the pick a part. Upgrade your truck and that way you can get an SCT tuner with a towing tune for whatever combo you want to run. Most of the engine sensors are exactly the same between OB1 and OB2.

Auto Transport Service
Back