• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

96 Ram 2500 V-10 Crankshaft Sensor problems

cheeseburgerhead69

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
96 Ram V-10, crankshaft position sensor stuck. I've lubed it up for days, wouldn't budge, ended up breaking off FLUSH with the engine block... tried melting the plastic away with a soldering iron, as someone mentioned it worked for them. No luck, drilled a hole in it, screwed in an eyelet, connected it to a ratchet strap, got as tight as a banjo string, Nope, that hasn't worked...been under pressure for 2 days... tried heating up the block around the sensor with no luck... So any suggestions guys ?? Anyone know if the sensor gets its signal from a tone wheel, or from one lobe on the crank ?? Half tempted to knock it into to the pan and let it live there as long as there is not interference from a 360 degree tone wheel that might be damaged. Dont really want to drop the pan and knock it out from the bottom ...

It'll be looking at more than one point, typically a crank sensor looks at a trigger every 10 degrees....

In other words forget about knocking it in.... It has to come out...

BTW I wonder if your eyelet is expanding the remains of the sensor.... If you have the new sensor I would figure out how deep & drill as on center as possible using the largest bit you safely can, then try to collapse the remaining sensor body...

As DJT once said what have you got to lose???

yeah ive been there done that. here in dirty jersey EVERYTHING rusts big time and trying to get an old crank sensor out is a lession in patience. spray lots of lub at it, work it so it will at least move or turn try to drill and get a screw in it and if it goes in side you may have to pull the pan , if it goes in and stops on the crank you may be able to clean up the hole enough to get it out. oh yeah keep spraying it as you work.

I agree with above. The flywheel is degreed with holes every other couple inches. If you shove it in it'll probably damage the flywheel. When I replaced mine on my 01 1500. I had to pull it straight out. If you're pulling at an angle it'll just wedge itself in the hole.

I agree with above. The flywheel is degreed with holes every other couple inches. If you shove it in it'll probably damage the flywheel. When I replaced mine on my 01 1500. I had to pull it straight out. If you're pulling at an angle it'll just wedge itself in the hole.
Hard to damage the flywheel when the sensor is near the front of the engine.
This is the V-10 not the 8 or 6.
I am seeing on the net the motor mount needs to come out to replace the sensor. Don't know if that is correct.

Auto Transport Service
Back