• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

97 Dodge ram 1500 Transmission.

Ron 73

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Im buying this truck because the price is right, The lady seems honest and said that driving to work the truck just stopped going, It had reverse she said, it never slipped or any kind of warning at all, Im wondering if any of you hear could tell me anything about it, with the computer stuff on everything i guess im thinking maybe ill get lucky and be something simple. Any ideas?

I have no mechanical advice for you. But my friend at work went to an on-line trans parts supplier, bought the manual, ordered the parts, and rebuilt it himself. The trans kit and the manual were under $200. So dont be afraid to low-ball, and do it yourself.

If you decide to try it yourself, I have a couple dvd's that will walk you thru step by step rebuilding that tranny. Let me know if ya want me to send ya a copy.

Scott, thanks, your the second man who has told me i can rebuild it myself! I didn't know the price of a manual and parts.. so if it comes to that. Sounds like a winner...

SCredeck, Thank you also, the disks would go great with the rebuild and ill be willing to pay for them no problem! Cute boy!

Im probably wishing in the wind that it is something simple, but the price for it was good, and its in better shape then some newer ones ive seen, this is one pic of the worse, almost only bad spot on the truck, has a Rino liner and for 1,000 dollars even if i have to buy a rebuilt one i really wouldn't have that much money in the whole thing. wrong? Thanks to both of you, its been great help, The truck is being delivered Saturday around 2 and this makes me a lot less nerves about making a mistake..

My20Truck20320Custom.gif

If you decide to try it yourself, I have a couple dvd's that will walk you thru step by step rebuilding that tranny. Let me know if ya want me to send ya a copy.

This deal is i guess keeping me up thinking on it, With What Scott said about the manual and parts and the disks you have this sounds like a good deal and had to ask you, being you have the disks, im assuming you have done this and wanted to ask you how big of a job were talking about? I have a very small garage and my brother in law has a nice big one with a lift im hoping to use if he isint in the middle of another of his own projects. Anything you could tell me would be welcome information... Ive never re-built a automatic trans before so im open to any dos or do-nots, special tools ect... Thanks again.

I recently bought a 96 gas 2500 with a plow.I also got a good price and the truck is REALLY clean.Bring on the snow!!:icon_bigsmurf:

Attachments

• PLOW TRUCK 10.11 001.jpg
    PLOW TRUCK 10.11 001.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 527
  • PLOW TRUCK 10.11 003.jpg
    PLOW TRUCK 10.11 003.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 440
  • PLOW TRUCK 10.11 007.jpg
    PLOW TRUCK 10.11 007.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 405
  • PLOW TRUCK 10.11 006.jpg
    PLOW TRUCK 10.11 006.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 501
  • PLOW TRUCK 10.11 019.jpg
    PLOW TRUCK 10.11 019.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 297
As a "rust-belter" with one of these. They like to rust ABOVE the front and rear wheel-wells. And also the cab rockers, rear cab corners, and majorly in the lower doors. So if you can spray them now and give them some more life, then good on you!

I have two 96's the red one is a 4x4, and the black one is just a two wheel drive. I like the trucks, but the tranny's have always been the week link in these kinda trucks from what I've been told.

Looks like you got a good truck there Ron. Good luck with it! :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 345
Thanks you guys, you have some nice looking ones there yourself, It showed up here today, he started it up backed it off the trailer and we had company and i didn't pay attention and never noticed that he took the roll bars out... Wont return emails, Hey, my fault, if he would have asked i may have said go ahead, ive done things like that before but it makes me mad just a bit, oh well, live-learn... thanks for all the advice and help, hopefully i can "gitter done"... Just not sure when i can start, this really put a strain on the pocket book with buying and delivery.. but ill get it, just getting things ready to start the job. I do like the looks of it and the shape its in... runs great.. And Scott, i hear ya on getting some fixing and spraying it up, i to live in the rust belt, sure do take its toll with rust!

I have had my 97' 1500 4x4 since new(168,000 miles). The only major issues that I have had with it are : Replaced the dist cap/rotor, new PCM and I need to replace the 4x4 actuator.

as far as wear/tear stuff. I have replaced: the u-joints, front hub bearings, frt rotors. When new the truck always started hard. I had to crank it longer before it started. I figured out a little trick to make the truck start on the first crank. Hit the key and let it turn over for a quick sec and then hit the key and it starts. BUT, I replace the fuel filter and the truck starts easy so I think it had something to do with that.

I have found that the truck is hard on the front brakes/rotors. I have replaced the rotors twice and 4 times on the pads. 02 sensors X2. The dash cracked for no reason. I have heard that this is a problem for these trucks.

It started to rust 3yrs ago: lower doors,cab corners and above the rear wheels. The chrome bumpers last longer than the painted ones. I have driven this truck in the snow for 14 central Illinois winters so there is plenty of salt on the roads.

I have used this truck to pull my 18' trailer to Michigan to get my 65 Coronet, to Nebraska to get my 49 Studebaker truck. I have used it plenty of times to pull cars to my local track along with to Cedar Falls arm drop live. I have made countless trips to fishing holes throughout central Illinois. What I am trying to say is I have had no issues with the trans but I have heard of others that have. I guess my Mopar truck loves me.

Wedge, one of the reasons for the front disc wear is the rear drums dont adjust themselves well. Get under there and spoon the shoes till you have a slight drag on the durms, and that thing will stop like new. Regular application of the parking brake will do this too. Unless the parking bake system fell apart like mine! Look out for wear on one front pad and not the other. If you have this, you will notice a grove in the steering knuckle where the brake pads ride. Fill this area with mig-weld, and grind smooth. You will then have even brake wear. I wondered why I had 120k on it, went through 3 sets of pads, but never touched the rear shoes. They were perfect, with no wear!

I don't want to get into the whys that things have changed but im getting a new or a rebuilt trans and having it put in. So if anyone can tell me anything about the right place to buy,, new is always for the most part better but to have it taken care of id appreciate it. thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back