• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!971 Charger electronic ignition

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
Did the 1971 charger come with electronic ignition, or did that start in 1972 (or another date)?

Also, how many horns did this car come with under the hood?

Thanks!

I've owned a lot of 71's all models, no 340's and all had points. My 70-71 FPM doesn't even show electronic ignition. I've had several 72's including a 72 Charger now that are points. Have also owned several 72's that were option N23 for electronic ignition.

'72 was the first year, standard on all HP motors, optional on everything else. By '73, standard on everything.
Charger horns? two standard Hi/Low horn combination.

'72 was the first year, standard on all HP motors, optional on everything else. By '73, standard on everything.
Charger horns? two standard Hi/Low horn combination.
Thanks for that. My 71 RT has electronic ignition. I assume someone added it somewhere down the line. I like your Roadrunner GTX moniker. My best friend had one in the 1980s. Great car with the air grabber, pistol grip and dana.

I've owned a lot of 71's all models, no 340's and all had points. My 70-71 FPM doesn't even show electronic ignition. I've had several 72's including a 72 Charger now that are points. Have also owned several 72's that were option N23 for electronic ignition.
Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back