• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

971 oil pan substitute?

I went with your recommendations gentlemen. I ordered the 440 Source 121-1001 oil pan as suggested. Thank you both for your help.

Well, I can tell you that the 440 Source 121-1001 will fit in a 73 with no problems.

Mark
Hi Mark Im just about to order one of these pans from Source. I dont care about the price but it will cost a couple of hundred to freight to Australia. I have a 73 R Runner with a 440. I bought a deep pan sump from Source that fitted fine but hangs ridiculously low and have smashed it into the road twice in 2 months. Please assure me that it fits well because me finding a Mopar expert is harder than finding an honest politician. If so I will order one immediately and value your opinion forever. Thanks Wayne

I'll take a pic of the pan/ K frame fit tonight, I had no problem with fit. Two things about the above post, 1: he was using the pan in a 62 Polara, not a 73 and up B body, and 2: His reference post is over 7 years old. This may or may not have a bearing to this.

Mark

I'll take a pic of the pan/ K frame fit tonight, I had no problem with fit. Two things about the above post, 1: he was using the pan in a 62 Polara, not a 73 and up B body, and 2: His reference post is over 7 years old. This may or may not have a bearing to this.

Mark

Never stated I was using it in a '73 or later vehicle. The pan they were selling 5 years ago wasn't what they were advertising. It ended up being a '73 or later pan that I received. I've noticed recently that they have made the correction and even change their picture.

The 121-1001 more than likely would be one of the pans that Wayne could use.

The original question on this thread is what is a substitute for a 971 pan and that's a good question. Mildone deep sumps seem to come up as a good fit for the early B's and the newly reproduced Hemi pans will work. For some reason the original factory style for the early B's aren't being reproduced. Maybe not enough demand?

All good, This site is about sharing information, and what worked/didn't worked. Sometimes the smallest detail can have a major impact on a project, and I for one, would like to all the info possible before I make a decision. Mopar's can be different, and never say they never did something

Mark

Last edited:
Well, this is the best l can do without really jacking the front end up

View attachment 1311889

KIMG0038.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back