• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-12 Hood finish

4mulas

Local time
7:42 PM
Reaction score
So I ordered an AAR A-12 hood today and will need to finish it. A-12 guys out there forgive me as I don’t know the factory finish. Was it the textured organosol or just a satin black?
I have a pint of organosol but I think satin is correct and would look best?

Any recommends?

So I ordered an AAR A-12 hood today and will need to finish it. A-12 guys out there forgive me as I don’t know the factory finish. Was it the textured organosol or just a satin black?

Any recommends?

I'm guessing you've got an A12 hood (Organosol) because an AAR hood (satin/flat) and A12 hood are for two completely different cars.

I'm guessing you've got an A12 hood (Organosol) because an AAR hood (satin/flat) and A12 hood are for two completely different cars.

It was pretty clear to me ... he bought an A12 hood from AAR. But to your credit, AAR sold out years ago to Stinger.

Anyhow, my question for the OP ... are those hoods still being sold with a buggered up front corner where they dropped and damaged the mold ??

It was pretty clear to me ... he bought an A12 hood from AAR. But to your credit, AAR sold out years ago to Stinger.

Anyhow, my question for the OP ... are those hoods still being sold with a buggered up front corner where they dropped and damaged the mold ??

I don’t know anything about that (damaged molds). Read around quite a bit as of late and most folks who purchased them were happy with quality and service, and said they needed little to no work prior to paint.

I don’t know what @Lionized means at all and @Stanton you are right. I just bought a 6 pack hood for a Belvedere and one for a coronet from stinger I suppose and am just wondering how they came finished from the factory.. I was only mentioning that I have the actual organosol paint that they use on road runners with an airgrabber and hood treatment. Just looking for paint recommends I guess

Just looking for paint recommends I guess

Here is what worked for me.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...isol-black-aka-an-organisol-adventure.206430/

As in everything else, there are ways to spend more and there are ways to spend less to get the same thing done, depending on the criteria. I wanted to keep the cost under $200 and wanted all modern 2k materials/No lacquer products.

The original A12 paint was lacquer, and even if I could get my hands on it...I would not use it, but I'm also not trying to win the concours d'elegance.

Any recommends?
My A-12 69 1/2 Super Bee was satin black. (I still kick myself for trading it in for a 77 Road Runner)

I've painted a few of these and the PPG books always crossed it over to the same as black dash paint. I remember the guy at the paint shop telling me one of the ingredients was some stuff that "looked like cream of wheat". The final finish always came out just like the original so it would seem that PPG knew something about paint. I'm sure the dash paint can be looked up easily enough.

Auto Transport Service
Back