A-833 Clutch replacement

General Mopar Tech Discussions

1. 451Coronet

451Coronet Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
    Local Time:
    11:52 AM
    Not getting many bites on the ad and I still drive it, so might as well enjoy it right? haha

Anyways so about to replace my first clutch on my first 4 speed Mope and wondering which one I need? Local parts store came up with 3 or 4 different clutch sets. This is typical generic chain auto parts store for a '67 Satellite 383 4Bbl with 23 spline A833. Trans is original to car I believe.
    -10.5" lever type
    -11" lever type
    -10.5" raised diaphragm listed as optional
    -11" raised diaphragm replacement for lever type

Since the car no longer has it's original engine (383) and a 360 4 bbl in it now and bellhousing would have to have been swapped, is it lever or diaphragm type?? What's the difference and are they interchangable??

Once I find out what size flywheel I have (stock was 10.5" wasn't it) I may just get a kit from Summit or ?? Since I'd had to order it anyways, besides heard the Auto Zone kits come with a plastic release bearing???

Also any special or veteran tips for this undertaking?? Thanks to all in advance.

2. Seventy

Seventy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:52 AM
    call brewers

• Like Like x 1
    • WileERobby

WileERobby FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I've always used the 3-finger clutch.. but if you don't want to work out your left leg muscle, get the diaphragm style.

• Like Like x 1
      • NJRR

NJRR FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I put a McLeod diaphragm in my 70 RR, 383. Works great.

• Like Like x 1
        • slepr1

slepr1 Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
          Local Time:
          I agree with all of the above. http://www.brewersperformance.com are A833 experts and will have your answers. FYI, like Robby said above, if you want an easier clutch pedal, buy a diaphragm type clutch. No other mods are necessary and it will slide right in. Make sure you change the throwout bearing as well. I just swapped my stock clutch for a Centerforce Dual Friction diaphragm clutch and its a night and day difference.

• Like Like x 1
          • 451Coronet

451Coronet Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
            Local Time:
            Sweet, thanks for all the feedback everybody. Sounds pretty straight forward. McLeod sounds right in my budget. Now just to get everything ordered and swapped. Thanks again!

Brewer's is about a 35min drive for me :)

• 440roadrunner

440roadrunner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            10:52 AM
            You won't have an 11" clutch in a smallblock. So far as I know, you can replace the B&B 3 finger with a diaphragm. Years ago, before Al Gore invented the wubya wubya wubya, I put a 'vette OEM diaphragm in my 340

Now there IS an "eleven inch" that was used in the 70/ later BB cars variously known as "11 inch", "10 7/8" and "10.9." This involves a what is also known as a "scalloped" pressure plate to allow room for the 11" disc in what amounts to a cover with 10 1/2" mounting pattern. Frankly, I think they are a PITA and I had trouble with them.

The 11" used in 69 / earlier was what I call a "real" 11" clutch, and had a larger bell

Normally you will want to remove the huge "over center" spring under the panel.

One way to do this is get two people. Depress and hold the pedal, and tick scraps of metal, or even quarters, etc between the spring windings, then release the pedal, and unbolt the bracket.

• Matrix2

Matrix2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            8:52 AM
            The B bodies for 68 and 69 had the larger bell, which, if given the option, I would avoid as can cause interference with headers/starter. If your budget allows, consider a twin disc McLeod clutch. Unbelievable how light the pedal pressure is!