• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 833 linkage install

dodge68charger

Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
How do i tell if my transmission is in neutral to sdjust the linkages with the drill bit method. Any tips when doing this. The transmission is out of the car. Also how tight do i tighten the operating levers and what side to the washers go on. Thanks guys. Appreciate any help

The top 2 levers face towards the rear and the bottom faces towards the front. Pin the shifter, places it in neutral, and then you can adjust the rods to drop in the holes on the levers. The levers just need to be snug as the nut is serrated, and can break off if over torqued!

How do i tell if my transmission is in neutral to sdjust the linkages with the drill bit method. Any tips when doing this. The transmission is out of the car. Also how tight do i tighten the operating levers and what side to the washers go on. Thanks guys. Appreciate any help

does it has an Overdrive?
if not, its like 5.7 hemi described it.

5.7 hemi has you steered in the right direction. Check out this original Chrysler tool I just picked up. Probably has some collector value lol.

P3180012.jpg

No overdrive. Do the levers have to be pointed a certain way for the transmission to be in neutral or how do i tell its in neutral. Thank you

Take the top 2 levers off, use an adjustable wrench on the "flat" just below the threads, turn it forward till stops, then backwards till it stops. In between those 2 spots is neutral. The bottom one is reverse and it should point towards the engine, that position is neutral or basically not in gear and when moved rearward that gives you reverse.

image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hope it looks right. Other than the sideways pic lol

- - - Updated - - -

The middle rod supposed to be this close to the cover nut? Its just touching itimage.jpg

IMO, functionality should be fine as long as it don't rub and bind on you going to 2nd. If it binds you'll need to do something.
Some possible options...
You could shim the shift adapter plate or the shift mechanism out.
Swap the pivot washer to the spring clip side. Find a hardened .010" washer to replace with on the rod side.
Use a thinner washer under the cover bolt.
It will likely conflict with the 3-4 but for grins check if the rod will work on the other side of the 1-2 shifter tab.
More drastic measures are bend and grind.

Thanks for the help guys. I ll go through the gears to see if its binding and if so try the washer idea.. Really appreciate the help

Auto Transport Service
Back