• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A bad product that was foisted upon us is finally going away

Amen to that.

They had their place, but that place wasn't much inside the home as outdoor where the dull start up, inability to dim and horrid CRI didn't matter so much. At least they were far more energy efficient than incandescent.

I love LEDs, I have them pretty much everywhere..

Won't hurt my feelings to see those bastards gone!! Many of them burned out pretty fast too and to the point I got pissed and sent GE a nasty note. After the first round of bulbs burned out in a years time, my first note went to GE and they sent me a coupon for a package (package of 8 iirc) of replacements then after those barely lasted a year, another note (the nasty one lol) was sent to them. Even explained to them that my system was monitored and the power was steady. I was dating each and every bulb as to when it was put into service and told them I was about to send all of the burned out bulbs back to them. That's when they sent me enough coupons to replace every single bulb in my house and said to let them know if I had anymore trouble. Right now I have two LED night lights that are nearly 10 years old and just now got another LED to go over the stove. The night lights are only 1watt but they are rarely turned off.

Starting about 5 or 6 years ago, we converted our MBA vanity- 8x bulbs... with early models.

Initially had a 33% failure rate in the first year :( the worst offenders were philips and when I went to complain on the website the page errored after submitting the form...every time for six months.

We also tried Feit and GE. both of those fared batter.

Additionally we converted almost all of the living room/family room, and all the exterior lights.

I must say it's been a success and our average electric bill dropped about 30%, offsetting the cost of the bulbs in about 2 years.

Just that MBA vanity alone went from 320 watts to 104 watts. That's over 66% reduction.

I'm in the process of converting the kitchen and some ancillary lighting to LED.

Good riddance. I can't stand the type of light you get from a fluorescent bulb in a house.

I am proud to say that i NEVER used a single one of those damn "curly-fry lamps"!!! I am still nearly 100% incandescent in the house, with the exception of four LEDs around inside the house. The garage is all florescent, as id most of the shop.

Good riddance, CFL. You will not be missed.

I wonder how many tons of mercury have been dumped into the environment by broken or improperly disposed CFL's. The people that were pushing these things were dreaming when they thought that everyone would bring their old CFL's into a recycling center for disposal. I'm willing to bet that most of them end up in landfills. Doesn't sound all that green to me.

In my experience, past and present, GE has had the worse light bulb on the market for years.
I was working in a hospital in the early 90's and we had a real problem keeping up with light bulb replacements. We changed our vender to Phillips and after replacing all of the GEs, our problem went away. Any bulbs by Phillips that burned out were saved and the vender would remove the metal end to check the date. They exchanged them if the expiration date wasn't met
I use Phillips every chance I get. Lowes has a large assortment of bulbs and that's mainly what they carry. Good prices too.
GE has the planned obsolescence down to a "t"!
I'm up for trying the new LED lights but I'm not sure I'm going to like the harshness that I have seen in some.

I have had them CF for 10 years now in all my light fixture, way less wattage usage,
like 1/3 usage & 2/3rds savings...
I have saved a few $$$ on PG&E bills over 10+ years, when all's said & done,
I haven't had any fail yet, they aren't GE Bulbs thou,
but use incandescent flood-lite bulbs still outdoors, I have tons of them still....

They are expensive, but they lasted a long time for me...
Slow/dim to start, but it's not really that bad, I have time...LOL

I certainly won't miss them either, especially the cost, albeit they lasted over 10 year now,
but I'll just replace the CF bulbs as needed with LED Bulbs in the future...

3500 spec bulbs are way more "realistic" light than 4 or 5K bulbs.

Took a while for them to be mass marketed and to catch on.

took all the CFL's out of the house (hate those things) when we bought it 6 years ago and gave them to a local non-profit. Replaced with incandescent. I recently changed the bulbs in my work bench lamps (16 total) to LED 60W equivalent. Little pricey but I expect them to last as long as I'm here...

The wife bought three ways, and one decided to burn up while I was seated next to it. The table lamp actually jumped on the table when it blew. I think we have one left to go, and a couple single watt ones around here. So far, I have put LEDs in most of our fixtures. Even replace some fixtures that are all LED.

Foisted: An unwelcome thing forced upon.

Well, no wonder the market is suddenly flooded with those bulbs that are on sale now. We put up a new home and had to buy a bunch of bulbs. They are supposed to brighten up quicker than the old ones. We now have several of them on hand
.............................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back