• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C heater box question

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
My 66 Charger sat in storage for a number of years before I bought it. When I cleaned under the back seats I found a bunch of leaves and acorns. A couple of times when using the heater some leaves blew out onto the carpet. I want to try to clean out the heater box without removing it from the car, since the air has been recharged and is working. I will be changing the dash speaker, so I will have the glovebox liner removed. I will also be removing the front seats to have the foam replaced in the bottom cushions. Is there a blower resistor or some other access hole I could use to try and vacuum out the leaves and such?

If anyone has a picture of one out of the car or disassembled that would help a lot. I am also wondering what position the controls should be in (heat, air, defrost, since it is vacuum controlled and I have to switch it when the car is running) to have best access from the outlet side to try and vacuum it out.

The air flow goes thru the blower fan, down the firewall side of the plenum and hits the ac evaporator first. That corner is where all of your trash will be. See pic. If you pull the blower, from engine bay, you have a clean shot to vacuum. You will need to use a small 1” hose taped onto your shop vac hose to reach thru. You can go in from the car side blower door put on recirc. I just push it open. The harder issue is how to clear the cowling of all the crap sitting there and coming in.

DDB673BD-7794-45DA-B8F2-55BA30B7F7C6.jpeg

Thanks, I didn't think of going through the blower motor hole. I have a feeling mine looks a lot like yours. I also have one of those boroscope cameras I could use to see if there is any other junk hiding.

Once vacuumed, you can put water in that drain pipe shown, low right. That will flush trash also. I would get coil cleaner and foam it thru that same drain hole, let it work, then flush down the vacuum path. If you use coil cleaner, it needs pretty heavy flushing to get the chemicals out.

Not Mopar, but an H2 heater core before/after coil cleaner.

E13923BD-951A-4B83-936A-162E421F7925.jpeg 32B49C56-EAE8-48F2-A3FF-88C091622B16.jpeg

Okay, a follow up question. Since I have to take the blower motor out to clean the A/C box, does anyone know where you can get a new one or have it rebuilt? Mine has always had a slight noise like dry bushings. I figure I might as well deal with it while it is out.

Auto Transport Service
Back