• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C vent measurement needed

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
I do not have my car at home yet, but working on some stereo ideas in my spare time. Can anyone give me a measurement from the outside of the outboard under dash A/C vents to the edge of the dash frame (or the brake release handle)? Trying to figure out if I have room for compact under mount speakers, which are 5 1/4 inches wide.

light blue interior.jpg

When I drove the car it had an old FM converter mounted under the dash, which worked OK, but the stock speaker was obviously cracked and sounded awful. I have a brand new radio I bought for my last car and never used, which is pretty small and inconspicuous. I don't want to disturb the original radio, or pull the dash apart to replace the factory speaker, so I thought I might replace the converter with the new radio. I also don't want to cut any holes to install new speakers, so looking for options.

Radio.jpg

Last edited:
Locating speakers is the hard part, especially if you do not want to cut up your interior too much. There are replacement stereo speakers for the original dash speaker. I cannot find any kick panel replacement, probably because there is no room for a speaker in the panels. Others have mounted speakers on the back divider. I have thought about getting a replacement back panel covering the break lights in the trunk and mounting speakers in there.

Regardless, most of my music, radio and entertainment is on my phone. I am thinking of leaving the radio in place and connecting speakers to something like this: https://www.kicker.com/pxibt1002-amplified-bluetooth-controller

I'd be interested to know other ideas for mounting speakers.

I appreciate the advice, but I am trying to use the radio I already have. I do not store music on my phone, and I still have a lot of CD's and this radio has a CD player. I am attaching a picture of the small speakers I found which are 5 1/4 wide by 3 3/4 high and deep. I thought they might be small enough to mount in the space between the A/C vent and the end of the dash. I know the sound quality won't be the greatest, but it is a trade off.

speakers.jpg

I have a 67 with AC. I think I know the measurement you want. I'll try to get it tonight. I had a buddy who used motorcycle speakers. Their brackets might give you some more options on mounting.
Kicker-40PSM3-Pair_540x540.jpg

Thanks, if you double click the interior picture it will make it larger. I am looking for the distance between the drivers side under dash A/C vent and the emergency brake release handle. That is probably going to be the narrowest spot.

Yes, thanks a lot. Not as much room there as I thought.

Smart phone -- Pandora -- Bluetooth Speaker ==== no holes, no discs, no wires, music to your liking, no commercials, great sound.

I thought I would update this thread. I ended up purchasing a replacement 4x10 dash speaker with dual voice coils (like retrosound). I did a bunch of measuring and found some small waterproof Pyle 2 way speakers that fit exactly between the rear buckets and the door panels. I ran the wires today and put the carpets back in. The bonus was that the mounting brackets I didn't need to use for the speakers are exactly the right width to mount the radio under the dash.

IMG_20220416_145519254.jpg IMG_20220416_162440201.jpg IMG_20220416_162604901.jpg

Here are pictures of the dash speaker and the interior back together except for the seats. Unfortunately due to vertigo issues I can't do the under dash work, so I am farming that out to my buddy.

IMG_20220416_170802012.jpg IMG_20220416_162819115_HDR.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back