• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A different carb question

3sloppydogs

Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
so I'm working on my old yamaha xs1100 after it sat for about 12 years or more. Went through the engine and its running again. But it occurred to me while I was doing the carbs that in all my years I can't ever recall a c/v style carb on a car. Have any of you ever seen one or more on a car?

English cars came with SU's and Strombergs. The latest is a Mikuni conversion. These Mikunis are on a square tail Spitfire. A short Crossram on a Poly, LA, B, RB, or Hemi? Should work fine. I know dual Strombergs are simple to tune, eight would be too. Eight SU 150's would be about 900-1,000 cfm.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 4.54.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Well there you are
How about that
The mikuni carbs on the yamaha are easy to tune
especially if have the balance gage set
I never worked on anything English except some old GM Bedford diesels and a few Ford tractors.

My 1970 Triumph TR6 had dual Strombergs.

I couldn't remember if they did or not
If I recall properly they had the 22R inline 6
But the carb escaped me

I couldn't remember if they did or not
If I recall properly they had the 22R inline 6
But the carb escaped me
My '86 22R was an inline 4 and had a downdraft carb, not CV style.

That's the big difference - motorcycle engines typically use what's called "sidedraft" carbs, and most automobiles (especially V-style engines) use a downdraft carb(s).

Adapting or using a sidedraft on an inline engine would be much easier than trying to adapt one to a vee-style engine, simply due to intake architecture and placement.

I can relate to the OP though - I just got a basket-case '73 Honda CB350F running for a buddy of mine. 4 cylinders, 4 carbs to balance....ugh. I MUCH prefer my twins, with a single CV!

Auto Transport Service
Back