• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few things experience has taught me

Blown polara

Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I frequently read this site for good info on almost everything, theres alot of knowledge here! I would like to lend my assistance to some of the more street and bracket oriented guys. I will admit what i dont know, ive been out-of it for a few years! I have been working on or rebuilding motors, trannys, and rear ends for almost 40 years both privately and professionally. This includes almost everything from pulling garden tractors to large diesels. My father who was an R&D engineer had over 60 yrs in the field as well. When I had the farm auction we had close to 140 engines up to v12s not counting anything single cylinder. that was for our hobby and not including my professional work. We drag raced mopars for 13 years at 4 different strips with 2000+ passes at Osceola alone and never had a new engine to start with, only swapped one at 150k+ mi because of wiring everything down from extreme blowby. We never broke anything and almost all parts said Chrysler on them and were driven to work daily. All had big cams (up to a .590 with 1.6 rockers) and were over 4500lb None of them had 1 carburetor, none that were raced had over 8:1 compression. And for a few years were the winningest cars at Osceola dragway and won the street sleeper award at the nats. We had a machine shop where at one time we made a set of dome top pistons from billet aluminum for a pulling tractor. I only say these things to establish some credibility. My feeling is that in alot of cases I come across I hear their goals and end up saying "you spent too much and left too many original parts lying on the shop floor!" Ill try to keep this brief (ha ha) but basically if ma Mopar did it there was a good reason! Like adding deck height and long rods to an RB. adding extra material in the right places to six pack rods (ive had stock bolts to 8k rpm on them briefly) using larger rod journals, piston pins, and longer heavier piston skirts than chebby. Those were all bad failure points in BBC heavy truck engines. Talking to professional builders like Gearte, Houge, and Alber about floating pins and other stuff and them saying yes, if it was a chevy, but ya got a mopar with good rod ratios and a short stroke, dont worry about it! Getting 21 mpg in a 4700lb (our first 6bbl newport drag car scaled 4860 with driver) with 4.10 gears, a good size lumpy cam and 2 large thermoquads on a long ram 7.75:1 cc'd compression 440 that lifted the front wheels starting in second and spun the rear tires at 107 mph when the engine flashed to 7k rpm on 87 octane. I have whitnesses who ran hot mustangs with NOS that wouldn't ride in it again! Dad ran a 64 sport fury 4 spd with 413 long rams and 4.56's back in the day and im building an extensively caged and lightened 64 polara 2850 lb(with iron heads and 2 batteries)drag car into an 8-71 blown injected 446 ci street strip car. Theres more but thanks for now!

Not too long ago I got to thinking about all the engines that I tried to blow up and didn't. Just not trying hard enough? Tried pretty good on most of them from /6's, 318 poly's and even a V6 3.9 in my 95 Dakota. That thing is still running and pretty good too. It used to see the redness of the tach often but it doesn't see that anymore. Used to turn 7300 with a Hemi rod 440 and took it to 7500-7600 out the back door once just to see if it would continue to pull and it did. That motor showed signs of cap walk at tear down at the end of the year. Ironic that it broke a valve spring running a time trial at the last race of the year but the engine didn't come apart. The damper and inner spring held onto the valve even though the piston was helping to close it and that happened in the traps!

On the 6 pack rods.....helped a friend on a very tight budget run a Super Street car in 83 with a 4 speed and it had the 6 pack rods but they also had stronger rod bolts. Imo, that's the downfall to the stock engines running them.....the stock same as the 440 rod bolts were not up to the job of the heavier rod spinning 7k and tied to the old TRW 2295 pistons. Had some low compression engines do pretty good too but usually shot for 10-1 or even a little more. Once they get over 11.5-1, my liking starts to dwindle. Had one that was 13-1 and well, didn't care for that one too much....and welcome to the site! Btw, I like to make my car lightweight. Usually make it easier on parts.

Welcome from Michigan the Motor City! 440'

Welcome aboard from Ohio.

I’ll be reaching out for some of your sage advice. There is no substitute for experience! Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard! We like sharing info and knowledge! Pictures are even better !

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras
another long time drag racer
(mostly sidelined now, dealing with my dad)

Great read and experience. Welcome to the best mopar sites available! Take care!

What'd the new guy say? That paragraph was "TL;DR", least for me. :)
newwelcome.jpg

Great read and experience. Welcome to the best mopar sites available! Take care!
Thanks all! Im sorry i don't get back sooner i have to drive to town here in the sticks to get recept. Sorry i seem long winded, but i left 90% out and rewrote it 5x if it looks too long dont read it! I don't have any idea how to post pics either, tskes an hour to upload in texts here and thats with a repeater! Again thanks for the welcome.

Auto Transport Service
Back