• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A funny story from today that I forgot to post earlier...

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
Many of us look at younger generations as morons, and many are. But today a thing happened that has me shaking my head.
I was at our local farmers market sort of thing with my 22 year old daughter. I bought a tee shirt and raffle ticket from a local organization to help them out. The shirt was $25, the ticket was $10. I gave them two twenty dollar bills.
The two ladies running the booth could not figure out the change owed me in their heads. Both were in their mid forties. One had a masters degree. After discussing it back and forth with no result they apologized, and had to use the calculator on their phone. It took them perhaps two minutes and a calculator to figure out that twenty plus twenty makes forty, minus twenty five plus ten makes five. My daughter and I stood there watching with our jaws on the ground. We are still talking about hours later.

That's when you say "just give me a ten and keep the change".

I'm amazed when that stuff happens too

uouo.gif

And yet I went to my favorite restaurant the other day, girl behind the counter rang me up but forgot my senior discount, the other girl told her the percentage of the discount, the amount the discount would reduce my total & the new total all done in her head before the first girl was able to type it into the register... I left my normal 20% tip plus the 10% senior discount which I specified goes to the math genius... She never touched my meal, but she impressed me...

Had a similar experience trying to teach two
waitresses how to measure some ingredients
for pancake batter. They had a hard time
wrapping their head around 1/4 cup was one
half of a 1/2 cup. Math is hard.

These two gals were white and in their teens,
circa 1973. Schools have been on the downhill
slide for quite a while.
Agreed. That was a poke at the "everything is racist" crowd. There was a thing a while back where asking minority kids to get the right answer in math class was asking too much. Math itself, must be racist!

Agreed. That was a poke at the "everything is racist" crowd. There was a thing a while back where asking minority kids to get the right answer in math class was asking too much. Math itself, must be racist!
Sad but true. I hope you didn't get the wrong idea.

I grew up in an era that if you
didn't pass the curriculum,
you were held back. My, how times
have changed.

They like to call it "outcome based education".
We don't want to give the little snowflakes a complex whilst being made to learn how to spell,
do math without the aid of machines, read a road map without aid of GPS...

It's ok to be functionally illiterate and "bad at math" as long as your self-esteem is intact.

Remember the hamburger wars? After the Quarter Pounder came out everyone started selling 1/3 pounders. Nobody bought them because 1/4 was bigger than 1/3.

Remember the hamburger wars? After the Quarter Pounder came out everyone started selling 1/3 pounders. Nobody bought them because 1/4 was bigger than 1/3.
That’s the first thing that popped into my mind!:BangHead: They should have tried 1/5th pound burgers!

I enjoy stopping in the local convenience store and even out the change, like say the total is 8.57 then I would give the kid a 10 and 7 cents then stand back and watch his head explode. :lol:

Here's a new phenomenon. Some clerks are not even giving back small amounts of change. I had 7 cents coming back to me when the clerk closed the cash drawer. I waited, and waited, then said, 'you owe me 7 cents'. The clerk said, 'oh, you want that?'
No, I am not that cheap, and the 7 cents didn't even matter. It was the principle.

Auto Transport Service
Back