• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/FX Help

805moparkid

Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
i am currently atending wyotech Sacramento and am in the Chassis Fabrication class. after some discussion with my teachers we have decided to A/FX my 65 Belvedere HDT. And don't worry! it was only a SL6 car to begin with.

due the the fact that i am 18 and the limited amount of information on these cars i need some help, i am going to do the full 15" rear and 10 Front, while using the torsion bar set up, any and all information and parts welcome...

thx

I am currently building my second afx car and can possibly help you out. Go to doverdragstrip.com to see my project under construction. It is under project cars Howie. The torsion bar is the best way to go and you can order them new now. I ordered 51 inch torsion bars. You will also need new channel for the front frame rails. You can see the pics on my car and get the drift that it isn`t that hard just enginuity! I have a co worker whos son went to wyotec. They teach you a lot.
Howard

While you are at it pick yourself up a 4 door belvedere and it will make the rearend transformation so much easier. I will tell you why later.

hey mr. howie iam about to alter a fourdoor can inlighten me on the subject any tricks or helpful photos thanks b.taylor

You need a 2 door car and a 4 door car to do the altercation. There is a seam at the lower rear section of both cars. The 4 door is cut at the rear of the truck behind the rear tire and shackles. The front is cut right in front of where the rear seat floor dips down. On the 2 door you will cut the rear frame 15 inches fwd of the shackles and where the floor seam dips down in front of the rear seat. That will give you your 15 inches diff for the awb rear end. You can order 50 inch torsion bars from firm feel. trust me it is easier that way. I looked for an old car with those bars and removed bars from 3 cars and they were too short. Hope this helps out a bit.

I have yet to alter the rearend. This past season was the front end mod as I have quite a few projects. Here is a shot of the front being altered. Well I was going to upload a shot but don`t know how.

thanks howie i have some 50" torsion bars got um from wildcat wrecking ill upload some pics a soon as its under way

use the paperclip symble in the tool bar in the advanced message area

GSM03.jpg

I am planning on finishing the rear altercation next fall. Right now I am trying to finish my wing car project.

65 coronet afx front end.JPG

afx and daytona project.JPG

great pics cant wait to get started on mine i just moved it inside my new shop and removed all the seats and carpet its gonna need new floors

What was the reason for installing post (framed) doors into the 65 coronet hardtops? What it to give a little more torsional rigidity to the body? If I do our 65 hdtp, I wanted to keep the non-frame doors.

It wasn't a weight issue that's for sure because a framed door is heavier. I think it was for rigidity...but poly1963 could be right.

The Plexiglas was fixed in the up position on the factory fiberglass doors..

Auto Transport Service
Back