• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A good Flat black brand?

747mopar

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
I've got a project going on that I want to use some flat black on but I'm half afraid to buy some, most aren't flat at all! What's a good brand of paint that makes a nice flat black, no shine?

SEM hot rod black.https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.c...tm_campaign=NTW+-+Smart+Shopping+-+BOOST+Item
4 - 21 - 12 072.jpg

Believe it or not, your John Deere dealer has great flat, matte, and semi gloss paint.

417.JPG 416.JPG

Just use any good base coat clear coat and add flattening agent to the clear

U-Tec
you can choose the amount of flatness. 10-20% 20-30% 30-40% and so on.
No rattle can. Shoot with a gun.

Last edited:
Eastwood dead-rat flat. Its the flattest I have seen with any durability.

Rustoleum: Not really flat
Krylon Colormatch flat: Is very flat but not very durable.
Krylon Chalkboard paint: Very flat but again not durable.
Krylon Fusion Matte: definitely not flat.
Anything that says Rat-rod flat (duplicolor, etc.): not as flat as Eastwood dead-rat.
I find that flattening agents from paint mixers usually require buying alot for agent. Like a gallon at a time.

Good luck,
RGAZ

I agree with 1967Cornet. SEM Hot Rod Black. Not all that cheap but will last and is very easy to spray.

The U-Tec is a single stage Urethane. Much more durable than SEM, which I've used, and you can pick the sheen.

I agree with 1967Cornet. SEM Hot Rod Black. Not all that cheap but will last and is very easy to spray.
I've used SEM's Hot Rod black, I liked it but had different results the 2 times I used it... Maybe it was the temp, not shaken enough?? I liked it fine but the second time it wasn't very flat.
U-Tec
you can choose the amount of flatness. 10-20% 20-30% 30-40% and so on.
No rattle can. Shoot with a gun.
Agreed, I don't want any rattle can paint. Looking for a good Urethane, I'll check into the U-Tec when the time comes.
Thanks

Here's what I'm going for but on an 83 D250.
Screenshot_20200925-153500~2.png
 The blue is coming along nicely.
IMG_20200927_193225078.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back