• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little help needed with leaf springs...Please?

Mocajava

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
My 69 Coronet is sitting with the springs almost flat in her normal stance, even after stripping the interior out of her.The pisture is from the original owner as it appreared in Craig's list here in AK. I am the third owner with almost no miles put on her since 1st owner sold her. Remnants of where a trailer hitch was welded on the frame is probably the culpret. I have talked to a local spring shop and without looking at the car they suggested an additional spring. I understand this will help but is this the best solution? I am building a 440 that will be slightly pumped up to insert after the painting is done and know I will get rowdy with her. I have read that the 440 6 pack and Hemi versions had an additonal leaf on the right rear to counteract the launch/torque load. If I had good springs to start with, that would be an easy cure but I am thinking I had better address the original issue before I add anything. I sure would appreciate any suggestions given if you have had to deal with this same issue. I hate doing things twice and am getting a great education from all of you FBBO members! Thanks in advance. MocajavaView attachment 267001

New springs from mopar :) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452982/overview/year/1969/model/roadrunner
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452983

left and right for $220 shipped isnt too bad... I belive them would be the ones you want, that was most of the 440/426 hemi cars setup, I think the early autos used a different number, but the manuals used them all the way from 67 to 74 (71 for b body)...

While you back there i would do the bushings and the shocks for another $100 or so...
I used monroes they look good http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-3207...ock-/381229671979?hash=item58c30f262b&vxp=mtr

I am in the middle of doing this to my 70 bee, I am replacing all of the suspension and brake componenets, actually the only part of my resto so far that hasnt sticker shocked me, all new moog front end components {suspension parts like tie rod ends and centers, links, ball joints, bushings, etc} only came to 250 then $30 for shocks, $30 for cam bolts, $900 for the complete front disc setup {pirate jacks}, a couple hundred for rear brake parts and lines, I will have the car rolling on new brakes and suspension for under $2K, which when you consider a set of grills can cost you half that and a hood can cost you double that its not too bad...

I was in the same boat as you and did things twice.

I installed new Mopar Performance leafs (one side does have an additional leaf).

After a year those settled (cheap material branded MP), and I installed an add-a-leaf to each side. The stance on my car is just right now.

You could try the add a leaf now, lots of info on the subject...

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?95265-Add-a-leaf

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...50-Simple-ADD-a-leaf-install!&highlight=Raise

Good luck and have fun!

I didn't know the replacement was that inexpensive! The local spring shop was quoting me about $800 to replace. I just need to deal with shipping to AK now. THX Seventy!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, great info! Maybe the smart thing would be to get an additional leaf plus the new set and combine them from the onset. With the issue you had with settling because of cheap materials, it sounds like THAT would be inevitable. I knew I was being smart by asking the professors at Mopar U! THX

- - - Updated - - -

More good stuff! Let the education continue and really appreciate the sound advice. Mocajava

I bought the add a leaf kit when I bought my springs, I dont think I am going to use it, or maybe I will put it in if I notice a problem, a friend of mine has the mopar springs in the back of his rr and they are 3 years old, its still sitting nice, granted he only puts 5K miles a year on the car, that probably still more than my car will see....

Maybe I will just add the leaf now?? I am undecided, lol...

I bought new custom made leaf springs for my six pack. Don't believe I needed to spend all that money but I was naive at the time. Cured the sag in the car but still didn't have the lift I needed to get over my tires. Bought the add a leaf system from Summit Racing. Just what the dr. ordered. My rear end is solid and has plenty of lift. Gives it a nice rake. The add a leaf system was only $36. To cure the problem. Got the idea from other FBBO members.

I am thinking about springs on my 70 gtx because its sagging, I've seen quite a few bad reviews about the Mopar performance springs, most say they sag pretty bad quickly and are bad quality.
Eaton springs are probably the best but around $500 for the pair.
I'm not sure what direction I'm going in yet, like to see some more responses to this thread.

Ouch! Sad to say that Mopar endorses this product. Surely they have heard the feedback and would rather be carrying something that suits their followers better. I also will do research and listen to others before I step off to purchase. Would really like to hear ALL the opinions from other FBBO members to get a general consensus. Sounds like a thread should be opened just for that purpose. Thx again.

Eaton springs are Made in USA from correct alloy quality spring steel by OEM manufacturer using original blue prints. Can be had stock , stock + or - 1",2",3".
all hardware available from them too. I wouldn't buy from anywhere else:

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/products/leaf-springs/

I would suggest you call Eaton and talk with them about sagging issues etc. They are friendly and knowledgable and do business the right way in my experience.

image.jpgSummit. Inserted a leaf each side. Gave about one inch. Just right.

Thanks Cmmopar, great info that I will chase down. FYI, I started a thread asking for just this very type of info and opinions on leaf spring replacements from fellow FBBO members. I wondered how many had gone down the Mexico built replacements road and their satisfaction. Hope to hear from fellow members. Mocajava

I can see that adding a helper leaf will raise the ride height, but what does it do to the ride quality? That's what I'm worried about.

These cars came from the factory flat and Hemi springs will not change that. People order hemi springs put them on and in a short period of time they flatten out to where they should be. Jacking them up was a 60s 70s thing that just hurt weight transfer but if that is the look your after then add a leaf or get them re arched at a spring shop. :VB toast:

I think it has a lot to do with your HP level and the intended driving usage. Stock type parts are fine to about 500 HP.Then the performance springs come into play. I like the calvert system because of the adjustability. It's same with shocks.There comes a time when you need a better shock or better yet,adjustable shocks.

Attachments

• 6.22.14 009.jpg
    6.22.14 009.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 223
These cars came from the factory flat and Hemi springs will not change that. People order hemi springs put them on and in a short period of time they flatten out to where they should be. Jacking them up was a 60s 70s thing that just hurt weight transfer but if that is the look your after then add a leaf or get them re arched at a spring shop. :VB toast:

Flat is one thing sagging is another, I was getting a vibration at 75 + and I did all the usual checks until I found my pinion angle was off, I lowered it about 3-4 degrees and no more vibration, the springs are sagging and had rolled the axle. My car is all stock and 45 years has taken its toll, time for new springs to make it sit how it's supposed to.
Btw re arching the springs doesn't last.

Hemi-itis, that car looks bad *** from any angle! :icon_thumleft:

I got mine re arched in 09 and its still to high for my liking.

Don't bother with Summit or Eaton. Call ESPO Springs n Things.

http://www.springsnthings.com/leaf-spring.htm

Here's the quote I got for my Coronet R/T for OEM springs.

"The leaf springs are $250/pair. They are matched pairs and come with the front rubber bushings pressed in. The poly front bushings would be $24/pair; the rear poly bushings are $24/set of 8 or the rubber ones are $12/set of 8. Shipping is $85.92."

"Matched set means that the arches are matched so the car sits level. Most places just pull two off a pallet and you can have 1/4 or 1/2 in difference in arch. The ones I quoted you are the 6 left, 7 right leaf springs since they were original on the 440 cars."

Laura
ESPO Springs n Things
800.903.9019 or 570.672.9413

Great info and thanks for the added addresses. Learning a bunch from you fellow FBBO members here at Mopar U.

Auto Transport Service
Back