• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A loose nut holding the wheel

That first one is soooo scary!
Last year, I watched in my mirror as the Jeep Wrangler behind me spit off the left rear wheel. I went across the road and hit the ditch. Thankfully, it missed oncoming cars.

We had a NYS inspection done on one of our company trucks. The next day as my partner drove it to work, the front wheel came off at 65 MPH. Inspecting dealership stated "We didn't pull that wheel".

In high school, we used to "hot lap" the DC beltway at around 3am, just to see how fast we could do the loop.

I know.

But, there we were one morning. I was shotgun in a friend's Alpina BMW 2002 (wide tires, flared fenders, Weber sidedrafts, 5 speed, lowered...actually a pretty cool car). Felt a "clunk"...then our right rear wheel, hub, and half-shaft passed us, and bounced into the woods.

Whoops, heheh.

So yeah, losing a wheel definitely gets your attention. (and yes, we did find it and yes, we did fix the car - not roadside, but it did get fixed).

I had a tractor trailer wheel come at me from the opposite side of a four lane. It was a challenge trying to time it so I didn't get hit by it. Luckily it didn't hit anyone and when it left the road it went down into a ditch and up the other side. It was launched about thirty feet into the air. Scary stuff!

I had my dual wheels on the driver's side of my welding rig come out from under the bed one day. I definitely had my hands full until I got it stopped. Ever who had that side apart last didn't bend the locking tabs over on the retaining nuts.

That first one looks like a Hollywood movie stunt. Wild!

We had a NYS inspection done on one of our company trucks. The next day as my partner drove it to work, the front wheel came off at 65 MPH. Inspecting dealership stated "We didn't pull that wheel".
The inspection report lists which wheel was "inspected"

In the first video, to add insult to injury the wheel catches back up after he slides to a stop upside down and whacks him a second time.

Back in the early 90's at an SCCA event a corvette nearing the end of a long straight heading toward the sun so his vision was limited the car ahead lost a wheel & the Corvette ran up on the tire... Launched him very similar to that SUV... Accept there was a retaining fence in front of stands with spectators... The retaining fence mostly worked but one person was killed and a few others injured.. Had that fence not been there dozens would have likely died....

Can’t help but notice the majority of wheels came off the left side. The top one was probably due to a a wheel spacer, but I wonder how many would have been prevented with left hand lugs on the left side?

Love the trailer wheel humpin it down the road and to the house, with the smokin hub still attached!

That's nucken' futs :steering:

May I never see or experience this in my life!
I experienced one from an 18 wheeler. It came from the opposite side of the highway and bounced over the divider into on coming traffic. Saw it bounce over a couple of cars and kept on kept on going until it was finally out of my review mirror. Yeah, that's stuff is scary!

This one really went a long way. Sadly, it killed a spectator down at the end of the track.

Auto Transport Service
Back