A New Group of Fans

1962 - 1965 Mopars

1. wagonwedge330

wagonwedge330 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:12 AM
    Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed new love for these incredibly cool, hip, bad ass rides of the early 1960’s we simply referred to as early B Bodies? There’s no denying our beloved early B’s kicked the rock from under the wheel of the idea bandwagon, that “horsepower would sell more cars”, a fact that previous auto executives at the big three were afraid to admit. Thankfully, we MoParians can wear that badge of honor, our early Bs are solidified in the Halls of horsepower fame, and arguably ushered in the new era of factory Horsepower Wars in the 1960’s!
    In fact the early B bodies created a movement, and rarely given the due deserved!
    I met and became friends with one of the nicest car guys on the planet several years ago, he leans towards the traditional hot rod thing, but he’s always happy to share stories about the days after his dad purchased the new family business.... a racetrack in rural Indiana! Muncie Raceway.....the friend told me when he began working, helping his dad with the family business, thus began his love affair with fast cars! He’s shared many stories, even inside “scoops”, on some of early drag racing’s more colorful characters if you will, but among all these tales is my favorite about the first Max Wedge, a 1962 Plymouth Savoy, my good fried remembered rolling into his father’s racetrack, the reactions everyone had from other racers, track personal, and how unbelievably wicked these factory Chryslers really were and how he described it as other worldly lol.....
    Maybe it’s because I’ve never paid as much attention, and after thus years events, I appreciate chatting, (six feet apart, of coarse), a little more, and appreciate my neighbor asking questions about the Polara or Coronet, however, I just don’t recall as many folks asking questions or seem to be so interested in the ‘63 Polara! Is it a renewed love affair with old cars? I don’t know, I suppose I’m just curious, and at the end of the day, whatever it is, if it’s anything at all, I don’t recall any classic, vintage, or muscle car as cool as a 1962-1965 B Body Chrysler Corp vehicle, and surly no other car ever made me smile when I push the button with DRIVE written on it.......

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Darter6

Darter6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      10:12 AM
      I don't know about the younger generation,but people in their 50's thru 80's do have a passion for the early "B's"
      Maybe because most of us grew up with these cars.And we all know that "us" guys (and gals) never grow up.

• Like Like x 1
      • Ron H

Ron H FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Interesting discussion having done a good amount of history checking on these cars. I have a’63 Plymouth vert (CA car I bought in ’95) and got addicted as a youngster when my older cousin had a new ’64 SF then after a few months talked his dad into co-signing on a new ’64 Polara 426/4 speed. I also got enthralled with the PB trans watching him run through the gears breaking rubber saying someday I gotta have my own (despite '64 being the last year of the PB). They were coined as ‘typewriter drive’ and ‘punch boxes’. Much as I relish a 4 speed, having this in my ’70 Cuda and ’67 GTO, I’d have to have one if I didn’t have the PB. Some legendary drag racers loved the durable PB 727. One or two as I recollect, had a '64 PB set up installed in their '65 Plymouth drag cars.

Arguably, the ’64 GTO was given the label as the first muscle car I’ve never agreed with, despite my deep like of GTO’s. The gist was a huge motor in a mid-size car. If you consider the dimensions and weight of a the early B’s, they were pretty close to the GTO so how a ‘62/63 B once stuffed with a 426 or earlier 413 wasn’t included is a mystery to me. GTO badging and engine distinction maybe?

Stories include that Chrysler had these earlier B’s spec’d to come out as a full size vehicle; but then downsized them due to scuttlebutt about Chevy introducing a smaller new model – Nova. While these cars ‘appear’ larger than they are especially with trim packages, they’re not…who knows? If Plymouth might have intro’d their 62/63 Plymouth monster motors with say the GTX badge the credit of the 1st muscle car might be different.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Runcharger

Runcharger Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          8:12 AM
          I've always thought that serious Mopar guys that are in the know love early B-bodies. To me a true Mopar guy is a bit of a rebel and goes against the stream a bit. True Mopar guys know how awesome these cars were and how they ruled the streets and strips. I also thought the 64 GTO while pretty was more a mainstream car like the Mustang and had to hide from a 426W back in the day. The Mopars were more serious with their proper brakes, superior suspension and tougher driveline pieces too. This is my first 64 I built about 35 years ago.
          The guys that only like 71 Cudas and 69 Chargers (that they paint orange and call the "General") are welcome in the hobby but aren't the true down and dirty Mopar guys IMO.

oldmopar6.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • Thanks! Thanks! x 1

#41 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            Gee. Thanks for the welcome, but the Exner fans are real gatekeepers. So let me be the first to say YOU are welcome to the hobby, noob! :carrot:

• Slap Stick

Slap Stick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            It could be argued the 50s 300s were the first muscle cars.
            I think the reason the Goat gets credited with being the first is because GM and the car rags hung the "muscle car" moniker on the GTO and it stuck.
            My brother had a quite radical Goat back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • toolmanmike

toolmanmike Moderator Staff Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
            • Darter6

Darter6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
              I'll trade you 2 63 Plymouths for your 66 Dart ! Serious.
              It may be the only way for you to hear the cam in the 318...

• wagonwedge330

wagonwedge330 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              I appreciate the time you took to me do this, I’ve looked at it many times and it’s always a huge inspiration!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
              • dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                As some of you may or may not know, My Dad was a stylist in the design studio at Chrysler. He did B bodys during 63/64. So much of the design of the 63/64 Plymouths were done by him. Along with the "Fratzog" emblem which was his as well. My Grandmas both had 64 Plymouths. So I had to get my own. Nothing like punching the buttons, take a 9.25 ride.
                Doug

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
                • Like Like x 5
                • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                • Ron H

Ron H FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                  Fantastic! You're preserving a piece of drag racing legend from those days...cool history about your dad.

• Photon440

Photon440 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                  Don Wright?

• dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  Yes.
                  Doug

• FU64RY

FU64RY Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  My Group of fans.

IMG_1216.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                  • F4R/T

F4R/T Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                    Way way cool! When I was a youngster I enjoyed the mopar muscle cars and didn’t care for the early steel.. now I’ve grown up and love them all! So darn cool to know your dad was heavily involved !

• dmoore

dmoore Mopar to the end FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                    I was an early 70's Mopar guy until about a year a go when I started lusting after an early B....found a NICE 64 Sport Fury convertible with console auto and a 426 SW and have loved it ever since!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.