• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question about frame dimensions Dodge vs Plymouth

Alwayslookin1

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
I'm wanting to check my frame dimensions on my 1969 Satellite and I found this pic here on the forum-Credit to Jeremiah who posted it on another thread.

My question is can these dimensions be used for Plymouth B-bodies. The research I did told me that the wheelbases are 1 inch longer on the dodge but I couldn't find any info regarding any other differences frame dimension-wise. Thanks for any help and insight into this

6476159-frame69coronet-jpg.jpg

I've suggested that the "one inch" might be an advertising gimmick to suggest the Dodge was a superior brand.

Wheelbase was seen as sort of a status symbol in the 1960's.

Others have said the front hanger for the rear spring is different.

Just get a Factory service manual for your exact car. It will have thousands of benefits throughout your car ownership.

There are many more differences From Dodge/Plymouth chassis structures.

The Dodge wheelbase is 1" longer than a Plymouth 68-70. But they do it with different rear spring hangers front and rear. So the actual frame rails and floorplans are the same on both models.

The Dodge and Plymouth frame rails are not identical. In 1967 on 2 door hardtops a Coronet quarter panel is 4” Longer than a Belvedere/Satellite. Not counting the quarter extension. So the frame rails and trunk floors must be longer.
The quarter extensions are different also.

I got an original factory trunk mat From a Coronet and I had to cut it off at the rear edge as it was too long to lay flat in a Belvedere trunk.

So get the book for your exact year and make of car or you may have the wrong dimensions.

The Dodge and Plymouth frame rails are not identical. In 1967 on 2 door hardtops a Coronet quarter panel is 4” Longer than a Belvedere/Satellite. Not counting the quarter extension. So the frame rails and trunk floors must be longer.
The quarter extensions are different also.

I got an original factory trunk mat From a Coronet and I had to cut it off at the rear edge as it was too long to lay flat in a Belvedere trunk.

So get the book for your exact year and make of car or you may have the wrong dimensions.
Pretty sure if look above your post, I stated 68-70. I stated that because I am not familiar with 67's. So don't know where that came from and the op is asking about a 69 anyway. 68-70 frame rails ARE identical. The difference is the rear spring mount that is welded to the rail.

Last edited:
R413. The frame rails are the same length. Take a measurement inside the trunk for each model. I put a 69 charger trunk pan in my 67 Belvedere 4 door without trimming a thing from the pan. Hunt2elk is correct that the difference is in the front and rear leaf spring hangers

OK maybe some are the same, but 67 Coronet and Belvedere are different. From what I’ve personally done I see differences with them.

Can we sit here and say all 68-70’s are the same? I would say that’s not very smart thing to tell others without verifying it.

I’m sharing my experiences with 67’s because that’s the specific info I have. FWIW

I have both 66 Dodge and 66 Plymouth rear frames drilled out from the cars and they are the same. I've also had several 68-70 Plymouth and Dodge frames drilled out and sitting next to each other and they are the same. Spring hangers are different as are the trunk extensions.

DCP_5899.jpg DCP_7660.jpg 20190330_101252.jpg

I have verified this several times with the frames removed from the cars, on the ground next to each other with a tape measure. My crash parts books also verify this too. I have found this to be true for all 62-74 frames

Can we sit here and say all 68-70’s are the same? I would say that’s not very smart thing to tell others without verifying it.
I would say for B bodies that is a safe bet. A few years ago I replaced the rotted out rear rails of a 69 Charger with originals from a 68 Satellite. Perfect fit except I had to buy Plymouth rear spring mounts.

Dodge Charger stock cars used a front Plymouth rear spring hanger. The rear was relocated on the rail.
Easy, fast way the get an “altered wheelbase” car slipped by the Nascar rule book.
The front k member and control arms also were moved.
Ingenious.

Bad logic to say that because QP is longer, then frame must be longer.

Bad logic to say that because QP is longer, then frame must be longer.

Your logic is the same as saying the front frame rails are different because a charger fender is different is a different length than a Belvedere fender.

Chrysler gave Plymouth and dodge the same underpinnings and doors and let the designers work around them. It doesn’t surprise me the quarters are that much different and I learned something new. The fact remains the frame rails are the same with exception of the spring hanger as moparmarks points out.

Oops I reread your post and you are saying the same thing as me.

68-70 Dodge and Plymouth B body underbodies are identical except for one thing: The rear shackle tube is 1 inch further back on a Dodge. This is the tube welded into the rear frame rail outrigger, that the upper shackle bushings are in. The Dodge wheelbase was 1 inch longer due to the 1 inch longer leaf spring hanger, which is a bolt on part.

R413. The frame rails are the same length. Take a measurement inside the trunk for each model. I put a 69 charger trunk pan in my 67 Belvedere 4 door without trimming a thing from the pan. Hunt2elk is correct that the difference is in the front and rear leaf spring hangers

Did you also use a 68-70 gas tank?

The 66/67 trunk floor has a spare tire well and a different gas tank that basically interlocks with the well.
(as well as a side fuel filler)

The 68-70 trunk floors are flat and have a behind the plate fill (except Charger)

The exception is that 68-70 wagons use the 66/67 trunk pan (and gas tank).
The spare tire well is used as the 3rd seat foot well in 9 passenger wagons.
68-70 wagons also have side fuel fill.

I am 95% sure the 66/67 side fuel fill and the 68-70 Charger side fuel fill are very different.

Did you also use a 68-70 gas tank?

The 66/67 trunk floor has a spare tire well and a different gas tank that basically interlocks with the well.
(as well as a side fuel filler)

The 68-70 trunk floors are flat and have a behind the plate fill (except Charger)

The exception is that 68-70 wagons use the 66/67 trunk pan (and gas tank).
The spare tire well is used as the 3rd seat foot well in 9 passenger wagons.
68-70 wagons also have side fuel fill.

I am 95% sure the 66/67 side fuel fill and the 68-70 Charger side fuel fill are very different.

I did use a 69-70 charger tank so I could use the Belvedere fuel fill. I had to make a custom filler neck.

Long story short. I did a mini tub and wanted the exhaust all the way out the back. The 66-67 spare tire well wouldn't permit that, so I went with the flat floor and narrower 69-70 tank and ran the exhaust between the rail and the tank.

IMG_0542.JPG IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0760.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back