• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Redneck and His "Poor Man's Timing Tape"

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Sorry gentlemen, been thinking again....you know nothing good ever comes of THAT. :)
As always, I disavow any responsibility for possible lost brain cells incurred by reading my posts, so read further at your own risk:

Today's weather is sort of crappy (storms blowing through to chase off the Sahara dust clouds or whatever that crap was), so I decided to try to sort out an issue with "jittery" part-throttle, low speed conditions in the GTX.

(For those who don't know, the engine is a '72 440 block with 452 heads, rebuilt by a previous owners' machine shop. It's pretty docile, having only a DC ".484" purpleshaft cam and has low miles on it. I've been in touch with the machine shop who built it and they reported "about 450hp" and promised to send me the dyno sheet a couple years back when I bought the engine.
Still waiting on that....
Big Hedmans, 3" dual all the way out the back, Edelbrock modern "AFB" type 750cfm carb.
That's about it, forged crank, nothing fancy.)

The car had been converted to Mopar electronic ignition before I bought it going on 10 years ago; The usual orange box controller, MSD Blaster II coil and I have a couple different electronic distributors to use on it, one a stock rebuilt whatever and the other, an old MP unit. Both are fairly new and tight.

I've always just played around with the timing on the engine and had settled on about 15BTDC or so - but something always ate at me about that:
It seemed a bit much for a fairly stock 440, least to me. Further, I'd not been able to connect the vacuum advance on either distributor without the "shakes" getting VERY pronounced just going down the highway, so I've always run it blocked off.

I've had a bunch of 440's over the years, none of them "built", just regular ol' Magnum this and that in various 60's cars.
Factory setting was supposedly 5BTDC, but my experience with most of them was that they "liked" about 10BTDC and if I pushed it much beyond that, the familiar rattle of detonation crept in usually.
I've been swapping back and forth between the two distributors I have and just playing around, UNTIL TODAY THAT IS.....
Today, Buford was gonna get SERIOUS about this stuff, get all HIGH TECH up in here. :drama:
Well, that usually means one needs accurate testing equipment and the harmonic balancer needs to have degrees marked off, at least to 60BTDC anyways - usually accomplished via timing tape on a stock balancer, right?
BUFORD DON'T NEED NO FANCY TECH STUFF!
Instead, out came my ancient timing light (no advance feature, heck I'm lucky it's battery powered) and instead of timing tape or a fancy balancer - out came a piece of paper and a pen (hey, at least it was a Sharpie!):
IMG_20200628_134351129.jpg

Let's get going here! high tech "burn the fluck out of you every chance it gets" light, fancy timing light that fits in the hood latch hole and even a vacuum gauge hooked up!
BUFORD'S SERIOUS! Y"ALL LOOK OUT!

(Some of y'all may remember some time ago that I actually did go through the proper process of verifying that the factory timing mark on the balancer is indeed dead nuts correct, so I don't wanna hear that guff, ya hear? :))

Factory timing marks on the timing cover consulted and scientifically measured:
IMG_20200628_134449844.jpg

BUFORD SAYS "0, 5, 10, 15...."
Said timing marks were then painstakingly transcribed via scientific method to a calibrated piece of scrap paper thusly:
IMG_20200628_134700484.jpg

BUFORD GOING METRIC WITH THIS STUFF!
Seriously measured conclusion was that there was 8mm between each mark, therefore extrapolation was possible further out for transcribing to the balancer.
(Y'all see where I'm going with this, right?)

Ok, now to consult with the original DC electronic ignition conversion kit INSTRUCTIONS!
BUFORD GETS HIS HARD DATA FROM THE SOURCE!
(I'd post them here, but they're in PDF and you know how this joint rolls with that...)
The first section says "hey, street slug driver, do this":
IMG_20200628_135736429.jpg

Yep, they're telling you to set initial timing to factory spec of 5BTDC....
BUFORD DONE GONE 10BTDC 'CAUSE HE KNOWS - YA KNOW?
(Interestingly, the instructions mention nothing about what any of the advance should be with initial timing set at factory setting??)
A quick check of the vacuum at idle:
IMG_20200628_143433559.jpg

15Hg and steady. Can't complain about that, eh?
BEST CHECK IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS AND SUCH NOW ANYWAYS...
Ok ok, did that too....
At this point, the GTX actually sounds happy and some impromptu throttling to mid-2k RPMs seems smooth and steady.
A smart fella would have called it quits right there, even tried to hook the vacuum advance up and go for a nice leisurely drive to check things out...
(At this point however, I call your attention to the title of this post as a reminder)
LET'S DO PERFORMANCE TUNING!!
Aight, fine....back to the instructions:
IMG_20200628_135809930.jpg

God help us...
IMG_20200628_135826058.jpg

The instructions tell us that instead of setting initial timing and calling it a day, we should set the idle over 2000RPM and adjust timing to that indicated on the chart.
Ok, duly noted and added to the scientifically extrapolated timing paper (SETP)....
Further, the instructions tells us how to tweak the total timing with vacuum advance hooked up as well - and how to use that tiny allen wrench to adjust that part for a total of 56BTDC.
This is also painstakingly added precisely to the SETP:
IMG_20200628_141258100.jpg

(SETP IS SHOWN FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY. NOT TO SCALE. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. NOTIFY YOUR LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER IN CASE OF OVERDOSE.)

(At this point, BUFORD heads under the car, which has been jacked up for clearance and is not backed up by any manner of jack stand. Avert your eyes; no photographic evidence of this will be proffered here for legal reasons.)

LET ME JUST STICK THIS HERE PRECISION PAPER ON THE BALANCER AND MARK THAT RASCAL UP WITH THIS HERE SHARPIE!

Hey, uh, Buford? You marked it in the wrong rotational direction there, Hoss....
%$$^#@@!^%
Don't worry about it, just do it again in the RIGHT direction this time....
@#$#%$^%
There ya go! :thumbsup:

(It is somewhere about this point that the experiment goes awry....
BUFORD, having bumped his noggin a couple times under there and singed his arm hair on that high-dollar drop light a few too many times, has lost any sense of purpose and instead is cursing the gods over the whole she-bang.)

Well, to be honest, I DID learn a few things today however, so:
CONCLUSIONS:
1. To achieve the MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE desired 38BTDC at 2000+whatever required a static timing of something like 18BTDC. Nope, won't be doing that.

2. The unofficial contest between the two distributors is officially OVER!
The Mopar one I have gave a total timing (no vacuum advance) of around 34BTDC whilst set at 10BTDC static, no tweaking or modifications done.
The "stock" distributor struggled to offer high 20'sBTDC at the same initial timing.
HE GONE. Banished to the shelf of forgotten parts....

3. Why the hell would I want to do the MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE tuning anyways? I'll never drag race this thing, ever - I just want it to run happy and correctly down the road with the occasional burst of YEEHAH! upon demand.
(Looks like Buford is back. He must have found some hydration or prayed or something...)
You know...like a street car does.

EPILOGUE:
I'll ask the question before any of ya wiseacres do....
What the hell was the purpose of all this Ed? You half-assed it!
Eh, it was a crappy day and I wanted to settle some stuff - and move on to something else to screw up, errrr I mean "with" on the car, ya know?
In the end, I learned how to make a timing tape out of the back of an envelope out of the trash; I settled on which distributor to go with and I verified some stuff on the raggedy carb; not to mention I returned to my old personally learned ways and found that beneficial, too.
Oh, and maybe most importantly - the world got off me for a bit and I just tinkered with my old buddy for a while.
It ain't such a bad gig. :thumbsup:
If you made it this far, thanks for your kind indulgence and...seek help, ok? :lol: IMG_20200628_141258100.jpg

Gotta admit, Ed , your posts are some of the most entertaining here. Not real informative.....

Kidding , LOL! Thanks .

Now, where do i find help?

Last edited:
Sorry gentlemen, been thinking again....you know nothing good ever comes of THAT. :)
As always, I disavow any responsibility for possible lost brain cells incurred by reading my posts, so read further at your own risk:

Today's weather is sort of crappy (storms blowing through to chase off the Sahara dust clouds or whatever that crap was), so I decided to try to sort out an issue with "jittery" part-throttle, low speed conditions in the GTX.

(For those who don't know, the engine is a '72 440 block with 452 heads, rebuilt by a previous owners' machine shop. It's pretty docile, having only a DC ".484" purpleshaft cam and has low miles on it. I've been in touch with the machine shop who built it and they reported "about 450hp" and promised to send me the dyno sheet a couple years back when I bought the engine.
Still waiting on that....
Big Hedmans, 3" dual all the way out the back, Edelbrock modern "AFB" type 750cfm carb.
That's about it, forged crank, nothing fancy.)

The car had been converted to Mopar electronic ignition before I bought it going on 10 years ago; The usual orange box controller, MSD Blaster II coil and I have a couple different electronic distributors to use on it, one a stock rebuilt whatever and the other, an old MP unit. Both are fairly new and tight.

I've always just played around with the timing on the engine and had settled on about 15BTDC or so - but something always ate at me about that:
It seemed a bit much for a fairly stock 440, least to me. Further, I'd not been able to connect the vacuum advance on either distributor without the "shakes" getting VERY pronounced just going down the highway, so I've always run it blocked off.

I've had a bunch of 440's over the years, none of them "built", just regular ol' Magnum this and that in various 60's cars.
Factory setting was supposedly 5BTDC, but my experience with most of them was that they "liked" about 10BTDC and if I pushed it much beyond that, the familiar rattle of detonation crept in usually.
I've been swapping back and forth between the two distributors I have and just playing around, UNTIL TODAY THAT IS.....
Today, Buford was gonna get SERIOUS about this stuff, get all HIGH TECH up in here. :drama:
Well, that usually means one needs accurate testing equipment and the harmonic balancer needs to have degrees marked off, at least to 60BTDC anyways - usually accomplished via timing tape on a stock balancer, right?
BUFORD DON'T NEED NO FANCY TECH STUFF!
Instead, out came my ancient timing light (no advance feature, heck I'm lucky it's battery powered) and instead of timing tape or a fancy balancer - out came a piece of paper and a pen (hey, at least it was a Sharpie!):
View attachment 968591
Let's get going here! high tech "burn the fluck out of you every chance it gets" light, fancy timing light that fits in the hood latch hole and even a vacuum gauge hooked up!
BUFORD'S SERIOUS! Y"ALL LOOK OUT!

(Some of y'all may remember some time ago that I actually did go through the proper process of verifying that the factory timing mark on the balancer is indeed dead nuts correct, so I don't wanna hear that guff, ya hear? :))

Factory timing marks on the timing cover consulted and scientifically measured:
View attachment 968598
BUFORD SAYS "0, 5, 10, 15...."
Said timing marks were then painstakingly transcribed via scientific method to a calibrated piece of scrap paper thusly:
View attachment 968599
BUFORD GOING METRIC WITH THIS STUFF!
Seriously measured conclusion was that there was 8mm between each mark, therefore extrapolation was possible further out for transcribing to the balancer.
(Y'all see where I'm going with this, right?)

Ok, now to consult with the original DC electronic ignition conversion kit INSTRUCTIONS!
BUFORD GETS HIS HARD DATA FROM THE SOURCE!
(I'd post them here, but they're in PDF and you know how this joint rolls with that...)
The first section says "hey, street slug driver, do this":
View attachment 968607
Yep, they're telling you to set initial timing to factory spec of 5BTDC....
BUFORD DONE GONE 10BTDC 'CAUSE HE KNOWS - YA KNOW?
(Interestingly, the instructions mention nothing about what any of the advance should be with initial timing set at factory setting??)

A quick check of the vacuum at idle:
View attachment 968613
15Hg and steady. Can't complain about that, eh?
BEST CHECK IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS AND SUCH NOW ANYWAYS...
Ok ok, did that too....
At this point, the GTX actually sounds happy and some impromptu throttling to mid-2k RPMs seems smooth and steady.
A smart fella would have called it quits right there, even tried to hook the vacuum advance up and go for a nice leisurely drive to check things out...
(At this point however, I call your attention to the title of this post as a reminder)
LET'S DO PERFORMANCE TUNING!!
Aight, fine....back to the instructions:
View attachment 968617
God help us...
View attachment 968618
The instructions tell us that instead of setting initial timing and calling it a day, we should set the idle over 2000RPM and adjust timing to that indicated on the chart.
Ok, duly noted and added to the scientifically extrapolated timing paper (SETP)....
Further, the instructions tells us how to tweak the total timing with vacuum advance hooked up as well - and how to use that tiny allen wrench to adjust that part for a total of 56BTDC.
This is also painstakingly added precisely to the SETP:
View attachment 968622
(SETP IS SHOWN FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY. NOT TO SCALE. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. NOTIFY YOUR LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER IN CASE OF OVERDOSE.)

(At this point, BUFORD heads under the car, which has been jacked up for clearance and is not backed up by any manner of jack stand. Avert your eyes; no photographic evidence of this will be proffered here for legal reasons.)

LET ME JUST STICK THIS HERE PRECISION PAPER ON THE BALANCER AND MARK THAT RASCAL UP WITH THIS HERE SHARPIE!

Hey, uh, Buford? You marked it in the wrong rotational direction there, Hoss....
%$$^#@@!^%
Don't worry about it, just do it again in the RIGHT direction this time....
@#$#%$^%
There ya go! :thumbsup:

(It is somewhere about this point that the experiment goes awry....
BUFORD, having bumped his noggin a couple times under there and singed his arm hair on that high-dollar drop light a few too many times, has lost any sense of purpose and instead is cursing the gods over the whole she-bang.)

Well, to be honest, I DID learn a few things today however, so:
CONCLUSIONS:
1. To achieve the MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE desired 38BTDC at 2000+whatever required a static timing of something like 18BTDC. Nope, won't be doing that.

2. The unofficial contest between the two distributors is officially OVER!
The Mopar one I have gave a total timing (no vacuum advance) of around 34BTDC whilst set at 10BTDC static, no tweaking or modifications done.
The "stock" distributor struggled to offer high 20'sBTDC at the same initial timing.
HE GONE. Banished to the shelf of forgotten parts....

3. Why the hell would I want to do the MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE tuning anyways? I'll never drag race this thing, ever - I just want it to run happy and correctly down the road with the occasional burst of YEEHAH! upon demand.
(Looks like Buford is back. He must have found some hydration or prayed or something...)
You know...like a street car does.

EPILOGUE:
I'll ask the question before any of ya wiseacres do....
What the hell was the purpose of all this Ed? You half-assed it!
Eh, it was a crappy day and I wanted to settle some stuff - and move on to something else to screw up, errrr I mean "with" on the car, ya know?
In the end, I learned how to make a timing tape out of the back of an envelope out of the trash; I settled on which distributor to go with and I verified some stuff on the raggedy carb; not to mention I returned to my old personally learned ways and found that beneficial, too.
Oh, and maybe most importantly - the world got off me for a bit and I just tinkered with my old buddy for a while.
It ain't such a bad gig. :thumbsup:
If you made it this far, thanks for your kind indulgence and...seek help, ok? :lol: View attachment 968606

A couple curiosity questions......WHO IS BUFORD? and why not just buy a timing tape? I could front you the $20.00 if your a little short....
BOB RENTON

I fully support this. I love doing this kind of **** and showing my buddy (a ford guy) to watch the look of utter disdain he gives me. One of my last projects i was deleting the a.c. on a B motor and refused to pay $60 plus for the non ac brackets. I found an old rusted piece of metal, cut/sand blasted/grinded it. Welded a length of pipe i cut. Then i proceeded to drill bolt holes, bondo and paint it. Found me an old volvo belt from a motor i tore down to fit and it lines up straight as an arrow.

IMG-20200611-WA0034.jpg IMG-20200611-WA0048.jpg IMG-20200611-WA0016.jpg

Ed,at rpm/speed does it flutter?? I have a similar problem but mine is how lean it is at cruise between 2300 rpm & 3000.
It just might NOT be ignition and could be the carb:blah::blah::blah:

Ed,at rpm/speed does it flutter?? I have a similar problem but mine is how lean it is at cruise between 2300 rpm & 3000.
It just might NOT be ignition and could be the carb:blah::blah::blah:
"...decided to try to sort out an issue with "jittery" part-throttle, low speed conditions in the GTX." :)

A couple curiosity questions......WHO IS BUFORD?
BOB RENTON
"Buford" = defamatory slang used for a not-so-bright southern fella, if not at times fondly
(in this example, Buford is me busting my own chops).

and why not just buy a timing tape? I could front you the $20.00 if your a little short....
1. Didn't have one and no where I could get one on short notice
2. Wasn't the point of the post to begin with

Yes,if your lean at part throttle cruise it will flutter maybe with some jitters.:thumbsup:
Process of elimination at play here.
What I did today cost = $0
A new carb has always been on the to do list; can't justify it given my situation presently, however.

"Buford" = defamatory slang used for a not-so-bright southern fella, if not at times fondly
(in this example, Buford is me busting my own chops).

1. Didn't have one and no where I could get one on short notice
2. Wasn't the point of the post to begin with
Perhaps good 'ole "BUFORD" was exposed to excessive amount alpha, beta, and neutron radiation coming ftom the old Oak Ridge nuclear fuel processing plants which resulted in his loss of common sense.....?
BOB RENTON

Dayam!! Way too much into to sort through! lol. Uh......I quit going by the 'book' a very long time ago. Is that what you are trying to do? If so, QUIT it lol

Dayam!! Way too much into to sort through! lol. Uh......I quit going by the 'book' a very long time ago. Is that what you are trying to do? If so, QUIT it lol
:lol:
Ol' Ma Mopar, especially the guys over at DC, usually knew what was up.
Doesn't matter in this case - I was just spending some quality time with Fred on a rainy Sunday and
figured I'd see if I could settle some stuff - which I did. :)
In the end, what I always suspected was true and I enjoyed turning off the world and just tinkering.

Perhaps good 'ole "BUFORD" was exposed to excessive amount alpha, beta, and neutron radiation coming ftom the old Oak Ridge nuclear fuel processing plants which resulted in his loss of common sense.....?
BOB RENTON
WAIT!
Was that an attempt at HUMOR, Bob??
Dang, give a guy a heads up before you pull that crap, man! :lol:

Your engine sounds real close to what I have.
1967 440
.040 over
LS 114, 466 intake 488 exhaust
452 iron heads
9.3-1 CR

I've read enough engine timing articles to make your eyes crossed. The one you posted is another way to do it. They want you to set your timing @ 38* all in at 2,000 rpm and then you'll see what the initial ends up being at idle.

The only problem is there are other things happening at idle that may or may not work depending on your distributor. Also if you're using vacuum advance and what the source of the vacuum is and what the mechanical advancement is and what springs are being used, all influence if it will even idle at that setting not alone accelerate from a standing start. It might work if everything with the distributor is in sinc with 38* all in.

I'm using a Mallory dual point and the factory has the mechanical set at 25*. I'm looking for a 36* -38* all in mechanical so that wasn't going to work. I adjusted the stops in the distributor to 18* and with setting the initial timing to 18* that will give me 36*. All in mechanical of 36*-38* normally works very well.

With the vacuum advance unhooked I set my initial timing to 18*. Anything before or after wasn't in the "sweet spot" for this cam. I ran the throttle up to 2,000 rpm while watching the scale (with the timing light) and it stopped advancing right at 36*. So that part of the timing curve worked out.

Next is the vacuum advance. Hooked to ported, I ran the throttle up again, watching the scale and you can see the timing run all the way to the end of the scale and off the scale before it stopped advancing. That's a bit more than 60* and I'm looking for 55* max. So I start looking into the vacuum can adjustment. Adjusting the allen screw in the vacuum can nipple did bring it back on the scale but not to 55*. So for now I've just retarded the initial timing to 16* until I can internally limit the vacuum advance lever.

5*-10* used to work when these engines were running on leaded gas. Using 10% ethanol is the main reason you need more timing. The aftermarket cams have a bit more ramp built into them than a factory cam and that will require more timing. Not enough timing running on 10% ethanol can cause over heating.

It sounds a little crazy but throwing timing at it until it starts to ping (spark knock, pre detonation) then backing it off a bit is pretty much the rule of thumb now days. You'll find that doing this will just about put the timing at the numbers we've been talking.

And that's my "Wall of Text" for today Mr. Pusser :D

It sounds a little like your cam combo means you need more initial timing and then you end up with too much total. The old trick of welding up some of the advance slots to limit total timing might help, then you can boost the static timing and see if the vacuum advance will be less of a problem when the higher rpm timing is brought back under control.

It sounds a little crazy but throwing timing at it until it starts to ping (spark knock, pre detonation) then backing it off a bit is pretty much the rule of thumb now days. You'll find that doing this will just about put the timing at the numbers we've been talking.

This is how ive always preferred to do it. The doba is a pain though, i put in a 360-3 from a motorhome. The thing wont ping no matter how much timing i give it even on the splendid 87 octane CA gas.

A couple curiosity questions......WHO IS BUFORD? and why not just buy a timing tape? I could front you the $20.00 if your a little short....
BOB RENTON

Why not use a dial back timing light? I picked up my Innova digital dial back timing light for about $100 and it's one of the best tools I've ever used.

And like 'Kid says, you cant use 60's specs on these motors anymore since they now run on crappy unleaded gas. The only thing you can do is tune by ear/testing. In my experience these motors have to run a minimum of 15* initial. I'm running 22*. I think...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back