• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/T Conversion

moparbob

Local time
9:11 PM
Reaction score
Has any one converted a column shifter to a floor unit, for a 727 A/T, I would like the steering column to look like an orginal floor mount but I am going to a ratchet type floor unit. Any help with parts or tech info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Check in the parts for sale section. There are floor shift column collars there for sale to convert your column

Conversion

The car is a '71 Satellite Evan, should have included that, sorry.

Thanks '69 Runner, any hidden problems with the conversion you can think of ?

None that I can think of, cept I'm NOT a fan of the B&M shifter that a P.O. installed in my Duster. They're all cable operated, so be careful of the routing to keep it away from exhaust. Otherwise you'll melt the cable right off the bat.

Conversion

'69 Runner,

Do you have a recommendation other than B&M. TCI, Hurst are they better or is there someting wrong with cable operated shifters. This is my first auto performance car. Always had sticks in the past.

Last edited:
I haven't really used any of these, but the B&M that is in my Duster is really quite vague. That's why I don't like it. As far as I'm concerned the factory slap stick would be a worlds better choice. It just isn't an option I can use, and I'm currently to cheap to buy a new aftermarket shifter.

I'm sure some of the others here have used all different brands and will have some good info to pass on.

B&M owns Hurst, and both are basically the same shifter. I don't know too much on the TCI stuff, but someone here should have some thoughts on the subject.

Auto Transport Service
Back