• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A tip on exhaust tips.

fullmetaljacket

Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
I often wondered to myself every time I saw one of these exhaust tips exiting out from under a Board Of education bus as to the purpose to their shapes. I suspect because of environmental issues and especially health issues surrounding children in the proximity of idling diesel buses, that this type of exhaust tip is designed to disseminate the fumes much better than a traditional tip. I don't think it has anything to do with noise management other than part of emissions requirements.

That being said and if the theory is correct, perhaps something to consider when having the exhaust exiting under and right before the rear end as compared to a rear bumper exit with tail pipes.

IMG_0862.jpg

I think I will buy one for my school bus but, not for my Belvedere.
Mike

Just ordered some.

Probably looks like that from being backed up into the wall lol.
Incorrect, but I agree that it looks like it was backed up into a loading dock or something. They're on all public school busses. At least here in NYC. It's a design that has a purpose. I'm going to ask a friend who works in their repair facilities and see what evolves out of the conversation.

They're a diffuser. So it doesn't look like you're Rollin coal, when you're Rollin coal.

I think it's designed not to expose a sharp edge.

I think it's designed not to expose a sharp edge.
Agree, but there's a third and fourth design
purpose.
Keeps kids from sticking their hands in a hot, sooty exhaust pipie., or the more
mischievous from jamming anything in
in there, and as RemCharger stated, a
diffuser. Keeps a black cloud from engulfing
the car behind, when the bus gets rolling
again.
You wouldn't believe some of the things I've
seen after working at a bus company for 17
years. Driver's in NYC and NJ weren't
allowed to leave their busses during their
lunch breaks if they were located far from
their terminals. (due to the coin box
break ins). The only recourse was to take
a piss in the rear stepwell. The warranty
guys wore hazmat suits when working
on the rear wheelchair lifts. Nasty job.
These were city busses.

Last edited:
I rode gm "fishbowl" busses to and from elementary school every day from 4th to 6th grade in the late 1970's.

I rode gm "fishbowl" busses to and from elementary school every day from 4th to 6th grade in the late 1970's.
The GM RTS bus line sold to TMC/MCI
Greyhound in about 1988, which is when
I started working there at the Roswell plant.

I remember when the city bought:

A- a batch of shorter fishbowls that had quad fold rear doors (instead of bi fold) and non working AC blisters.
(wait- that door thing might be backwards- they also had "push to open" instead of driver controlled open)

B- Flxible Flyer trolleys in 1977.

C- a batch of slightly used RTS II AC models that mostly the AC didn't work around 1980.

They also converted a fishbowl into a trolley.

I got to tour the bus barn around 1975/76 (7-8 years old) when they were placing the order for the Flyers and kind of making a big deal out of it since their electric bus fleet was all 1949 and older Pullman and Marmon-Harrington.
They had an open house and had very large models (like almost couch sized) of the prospective new equipment from several vendors.

I thought that was cool as all get out.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back