• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very special '71 Roadrunner...

Ritchie Valens

Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! My name is Ritchie and I actually joined a year ago but I had been diagnosed with cancer shortly before becoming a member and then the chemo side-lined me. My dream had always been to own a classic MOPAR. And after my cancer diagnosis, my wife said screw it, go out and find your dream car.

I got pretty lucky and I found a very clean and beautiful '71 Roadrunner (pics below). She has a 383 4-Bbl, 4-speed with Hurts pistol grip, has the Air-Grabber hood, color is In-Violet with white vinyl top and white seats. Nothing rare or fancy, but it is perfect for me! It was ready to be driven and I DRIVE IT guilt free!!!

Let me tell ya, these are not just cars. We all have the special childhood memories that led us to love these cars. My wife, family and friends have been been there for me during my battle. But somedays, when I was really feeling sick and down, I would go into my garage and just sit in my Roadrunner. The smell of the old vinyl bucket seats, oil and gas took me back to better days. The feeling of the steering wheel and the pistol grip around my fingers was better than any medicine. It put a big smile on my face and although I couldn't drive it then, it gave me motivation to fight for the day I would take her out for a long drive.

I continue my fight... but I'm able to drive my car these days. I've even started working on little projects I've had plan for over a year. I'm glad to be here and I look forward to getting the help from all of the experience and knowledge you all have. I'm happy to meet all of you and I look forward to seeing all the pictures of everyones cars!!

~Ritchie

Unknown-2.jpeg
4ADF7A09-143E-47E0-88EF-A92810322275.jpeg
Unknown-11.jpeg
04744D76-AE9B-4FD2-975D-95454B61E01B.jpeg
Unknown-9.jpeg
Unknown-12.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg

Welcome from northern MI.

Fantastic car. Always have loved those air grabber hoods. That color combo really makes the car stand out!
Best wishes on your health and enjoying your ride for many more years, Ritchie.

Welcome from Missouri!!

Hoping for the best of health and Let The Horses Run!!

Welcome and great car and life story. Damn cancer but it will give you a different look on life.

Welcome from Illinois!! Wishing you a full recovery and many miles of enjoyment in that beautiful 'runner . . .

road runner 576.jpg

Welcome to the best Mopar site out there. A lot of knowledgeable and helpful people around here. Nice looking RR.

Ritchie, welcome ! And, as I mentioned in the other thread, that is one of the most beautiful road runners I've ever seen. More importantly, my best wishes and prayers for you !!

That is a great looking car Ritchie! I hope you recover and are able to enjoy the Roadrunner and spend time with your family!

Beautiful color combo. Airgrabber and pistol grip are two of the coolest things every put in a car!
Stay strong man. Sounds like you have a pretty cool and supportive wife.

Welcome! Beautiful runner. Keep the Faith, you can beat this. Enjoy that road runner.

Welcome from the central coast. With help from The Lord, you'll put the smack down on cancer. By the pictures, looks like you are in La Mesa.

Glad to see or hear you're still hear live & kicken :thumbsup:

welcome back to FBBO, from NorCal Sierras

68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #4 PS frt.JPG

Welcome from VA! Beautiful car and one of the best color combos of all time

Welcome from n,c wish you the very best enjoy your dream car roadrunner

Welcome aboard, Glad you found that great RR. Best wishes on your health and enjoy that great Mopar.

Last edited:
Sorry for all you have had to go through but a great story about the car helping you get through some of it and I’m sure it helps due to that big grin on your face when you’re in it. That’s a greatlooking car too - a car meant for driving. Welcome and best of luck to you.

Auto Transport Service
Back