• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a12 differences

Mesopic

Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
Hi
A friend of mine is making a a12 clone (a computer incompent guy)
He heard that the supsension on the 383 is not the same as the 440 sixpack what are the differences? Also i am aware the K frame is different
between a 383 and a a12. Can he leave his 383 k frame in and will it do the job required or is it not strong enough or have different mounting brackets... etcs
Thanks
Mesopic

The K frames are the same, all v8's used the same one besides the elephants. They all came with dana 60's and 4.10 gears and I believe they had HD springs. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

My 70 six pack came with the "hemi" skid plate. Was it used in 69?

The K memeber was a change in the 69 model year for all B bodies about the time the
A12s were released so it is not specific to the A12s. For a clone I would not bother trying to find that particular one as any V8 K member will work.

The suspension on the real A12s were Hemi suspension with the larger torsion bars, rear springs, H.D. shocks with the front sway bar. A few of the very early A12s had the standard Super Bee or RR suspension. Both the Rallye suspension and the Hemi suspension had the same H.D. shocks and sway bar.

From another A12 owner.

Attachments

• Six-Pack K Member-1.jpg
    Six-Pack K Member-1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 872
From another A12 owner.

That is good descriptive picture, however keep in mind that it is not an A12 SPECIFIC K member, it is the same one used for ANY V8 after a certain date that began around the time that the A12s began production.

my 69 road runner hardtop 383 auto (now 440 manuel, work in progress) do not know what diff it has currently, will a 4.10 limited slip fit or will i have to replace the back axle? if i have to replace the back axle i found a 8 3/4 2.74 diff instead

I went and had a look at what i thought was an M coded engine today (it wasn't) is the M stamped on the small machined off boss near the dizzy and with the vin (on the side) or just with the vin?

I went and had a look at what i thought was an M coded engine today (it wasn't) is the M stamped on the small machined off boss near the dizzy and with the vin (on the side) or just with the vin?

There is no M code engine. When people refer to an M code car they are refering to the 5th didgit of the VIN. eg: WM23M indicates a special order 440.
KID

Thank you, so the 5th digit on the vin needs to be an 'M'. Does the id boss near the dizzy have a hp stamped after the 440 on the M coded blocks? Sorry to be a pain, keeping my eye out for spare 440 blocks here in oz and don't want to be fooled.

Thank you, so the 5th digit on the vin needs to be an 'M'. Does the id boss near the dizzy have a hp stamped after the 440 on the M coded blocks? Sorry to be a pain, keeping my eye out for spare 440 blocks here in oz and don't want to be fooled.

Yes.

"M" code

When people refer to an M code car they are refering to the 5th didgit of the VIN. eg: WM23M indicates a special order 440.

Actually the "M" engine code was the designation for "Special order V8". It just happened that all 69 "M" code engines were 440's

When people refer to an M code car they are refering to the 5th didgit of the VIN. eg: WM23M indicates a special order 440.

Actually the "M" engine code was the designation for "Special order V8". It just happened that all 69 "M" code engines were 440's

That is true and is a little confusing for some people because for the 1969 model year it meant 440-6 in a B body and 440-4 in a A body.

The point being the "special V8" designation meant just that, some thing special or other than the normal or regular standard or optional engine for a specific model. To really determine what that meant you have to look further into the cars build characters on either the fender tag or the BS.

On a 1969 six pack car you will find the A12 package and the factory literature spells out what came in that package such as the 440-6.

Auto Transport Service
Back