• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12 Super Bee question?

TheGodfather

Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a recently purchased a 69 Super Bee (A12 clone) that was restored in 2007 to a grade B level. Not bad but.....needs attention. This Bee has high back bucket seats in it with automatic trans shifter in between the buckets. These high back seats don't quite look right for the car. They look more like A-Body Duster seats. I really don't know? Do any of you know if the actual factory A12 cars came with high back seats or did they come with low back seats and a head rest? Or bench front seat? Or what? A picture would be Fantastic if you have one or two. Thanks for any and all help.

probably most of them had bench seats but the bucket cars would have been low backs, probably with a head rest depending on when they were made. the 8 or 9 A body low backs are the same frames as the B body long as you have the tracks.

All `69 cars had headrests, bench or buckets. I'm thinking your Bee should have the same buckets w/headrests found in every other `69 B-body with buckets. Take a little time and search this site and you will find pics your looking for.

All `69 cars had headrests, bench or buckets. I'm thinking your Bee should have the same buckets w/headrests found in every other `69 B-body with buckets. Take a little time and search this site and you will find pics your looking for.

Headrests were not standard until 1/1/69. Headrests were optional in 1969 model year cars built August through December of '68.

High back bucket seats were not available until the 1970 model year.

Original A12 cars with optional bucket seats would have come with the low back seats and headrests.

headrests were not standard until 1/1/69. Headrests were optional in 1969 model year cars built august through december of '68.

Original a12 cars with optional bucket seats would have come with the low back seats and headrests.

Here is what your car should have.

Attachments

• DSC06364.JPG
    DSC06364.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC06365.JPG
    DSC06365.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC06366.JPG
    DSC06366.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 481
Headrests were not standard until 1/1/69. Headrests were optional in 1969 model year cars built August through December of '68.

Original A12 cars with optional bucket seats would have come with the low back seats and headrests.

Dats right:icon_bigsmurf:

heres some for reference.a original a12

Attachments

• A12 ROADRUNNER 009.jpg
    A12 ROADRUNNER 009.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 428
  • A12 ROADRUNNER 018.jpg
    A12 ROADRUNNER 018.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 475
heres some for reference.a original a12

if i haven't said it before i will say it again that is one sweet a12 you got there chris what a time capsule i love it you should be proud to own that car i would.

if i haven't said it before i will say it again that is one sweet a12 you got there chris what a time capsule i love it you should be proud to own that car i would.

Thanks, I do love it myself. From the 1st day i saw it in the summer of 69 and now it still is my favorite. I think its a keeper.:glasses10:

Factory bucket seat cars will have reinforcement plates welded on the floor pans to support the inside bucket seat tracks,easiest way to determine if bucket or bench car. Love the A-12 cars..... nice ride SSR

Factory bucket seat cars will have reinforcement plates welded on the floor pans to support the inside bucket seat tracks,easiest way to determine if bucket or bench car. Love the A-12 cars..... nice ride SSR

Yup, good reference pic of the plates.

Attachments

• a12beefloorpan4.jpg
    a12beefloorpan4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 424
A12 Front Seats Questions Answered!!!

Gentleman-

THANK-YOU all SO much for all the information about what the original 69 A12cars should've come with from the factory relative to the front seats. It's extremely helpful and it's great that everyone wants to help with accuarcy. I found a pair of original 68 RR front bucket seats with good rust free tracks in a small wreaking yard in a remote part of Montana. They look a lot like the bucket seat pictures that RubyredSavoy posted but, w/o the head rests. I may just go ahead and use them and have them recovered and call it good. Can I assume that Ledgendary interiors or Year-One would have the exact vinyl seat covers to look correct?

Anyway - thanks a ton guys. :sunny:
Doug-

thanks guysi'm glad i bought these before the prices got out of hand. plus i got OCD and cant sell any of them.

Gentleman-

THANK-YOU all SO much for all the information about what the original 69 A12cars should've come with from the factory relative to the front seats. It's extremely helpful and it's great that everyone wants to help with accuarcy. I found a pair of original 68 RR front bucket seats with good rust free tracks in a small wreaking yard in a remote part of Montana. They look a lot like the bucket seat pictures that RubyredSavoy posted but, w/o the head rests. I may just go ahead and use them and have them recovered and call it good. Can I assume that Ledgendary interiors or Year-One would have the exact vinyl seat covers to look correct?

Anyway - thanks a ton guys. :sunny:
Doug-

Yes GF, Legendary has exactly the covers you need (better to buy them through Dante's Parts for a nice discount). To be correct, you will need to find a pair of headrests since the A12 cars all had them. By Jan 1st, 1969, it was mandated by Fed law that cars were to be built with headrests, all A12s were built well after that date.

Yes GF, Legendary has exactly the covers you need (better to buy them through Dante's Parts for a nice discount). To be correct, you will need to find a pair of headrests since the A12 cars all had them. By Jan 1st, 1969, it was mandated by Fed law that cars were to be built with headrests, all A12s were built well after that date.

I agree with the above. What Legendary won't have is the correct seat medallions that were used on both the fronr buckets and on both sides of the the rear seat backs. They are very difficult to find especially with the recessed backing plates that allow them to look recessed into the seat material. Legendary also won't have the steel backed woodgrain trim that comes on the top of the door panels and the back side panel area that was standard with the bucket seat interior for 1969. RubyredSavoy's interior pictures show these things.

If you are interested I have a pair with the backing plates and I believe a pair without them for sale.

Auto Transport Service
Back