• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 Identification

Toxic Orange 493

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify the 833 that I have.

It is a cast iron case with the long tailshaft that has both the B and E body shifter mounting locations.
The casting number on the tailshaft is C-99538.
The casting number on the side cover is C-95664 Z
The only numbers on the machined pad that I can make out are E106766.
The front bearing retainer is 5.125"

From the research that I have done, I believe it is an OD transmission because of the 5.125" front bearing retainer. But, I thought that I had read all of the OD transmissions were aluminum cases.

I was leaning towards getting the OD gear set that Passon Performance sells, but want to make sure what I have first to decide if it is worth spending the money to rebuild this one or not.

I can add pictures later today if it helps.

The only numbers on the machined pad that I can make out are E106766.

That appears to be part of the VIN.

Is there a number in front of this string like 0E106766?

You could have a mix and match transmission. Run it through the gears and count the turns of the input for 1 turn of the output. Not all OD transmissions were aluminum.

Is there a number in front of this string like 0E106766?

There is not any numbers or letters in front of the "E". Below is a picture of the pad, the best one that I could get. There are other smaller numbers which I think are the date code, but I can't make all of the numbers out on them.

IMG_4515[1].JPG

You could have a mix and match transmission. Run it through the gears and count the turns of the input for 1 turn of the output. Not all OD transmissions were aluminum.

I was thinking the same thing, that this could be a transmission someone pieced together in the past.

Do you know the position of the levers on the side to get to first gear? I don't have a shifter to bolt to it to get it into first gear.

I just found the below diagram in another post. So I guess this answers my question on the shift lever positions.

833-crossection-jpg.jpg

Mostly I have been able to find from what I think the numbers are Manufactured Sept8 1969 (1970 Model year Trans) the 8th one built that day Built in LA.

Check your tail housing is it possable that the tail housing is a 99539?
E-Body Tailhousings
For the remainder of 1970 to the end of production for the A-833, the tailhousing took casting number C-99539. This tailhousing was used in B- and E-Body cars, trucks, and vans until 1986. It can be used in any B- or E-Body car from 1964 and on with the proper crossmember and mount. These are not necessarily the factory configuration that is needed to make it work.

25-3.jpg

Mostly I have been able to find from what I think the numbers are Manufactured Sept8 1969 (1970 Model year Trans) the 8th one built that day Built in LA.

Check your tail housing is it possable that the tail housing is a 99539?
View attachment 1182782

Thanks for the help on the build date.

I looked again at the tailhousing. I think you are correct that the casting number is 99539. Part of the last digit is missing, but looking at it in the picture below, I think it is a 9.
IMG_4518.JPG

Run it through the gears and count the turns of the input for 1 turn of the output.

Checked each of the gear ratios this evening. It falls in line with the ratios for a 23 spline '70 and earlier unit with the 2.66 ratio first gear.

Thanks to everyone that helped me figure this out!

Auto Transport Service
Back