• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 poppin' out of 2nd gear

69 R/T

Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
Here's one for ya to help me with. The Hemi box A833 in my 69 Coronet pops out of second gear when I'm cruising then mildly accelerate or when i down shift to make a turn. I must keep pressure on the shifter to keep it in gear while making a turn....good thing I have power steering! It's really quite annoying and embarassing too. Any ideas?

My first thought is the slider is not fully engaging with the gear. Maybe disconnect the linkage rods from the shift plate to get the linkage out of the picture then put it in second and take it for a drive.

I have a similair problem, but mine pops out of third when I am coasting. Sorry to "piggy-back" your post, but I have no idea why this is happening either and look foward to any answers.

Had this same problem with a Six Pack Challenger once,.........Had the Synchronizers replaced,.........It never done it again.

Often times this can be corrected with a linkage adjustment.

Auto Transport Service
Back