• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 tranny to 383 engine clutch alignment tool

69 Charger

Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi, Guys -

Does anyone have a clutch disc alignment tool for an A833 4-speed to 383 engine that I can borrow or buy? I bought a new Luk clutch kit several months ago that included the tool, but now that I'm ready to install the clutch I cannot find that tool anywhere. I haven't had the clutch kit out of the garage, so I'm mystified what might have happened to the tool. Everything else is there in the box.

Thanks!
Max Byers
Havelock, NC

A guy named Summit Racing sells them for a whopping $5.

As post #2 says order one from Summit, the other will magically reappear! Works every time. ruffcut

I have done it without the tool. If you take the time to center the disc in relation to the pressure plate it will go together. The other trick is to get it close then get the transmission into the spline and against the pilot bushing. Keep applying pressure as someone pushes the clutch pedal down. These have worked for me. I have also made them out of a wooden dowel. Also check your local parts store.

I've done it without the tool also. Just don't tighten pressure plate completely and with very slight movement of the disc. Center disc as best as you can and wiggle tranny in.

Hi, Guys -

Does anyone have a clutch disc alignment tool for an A833 4-speed to 383 engine that I can borrow or buy? I bought a new Luk clutch kit several months ago that included the tool, but now that I'm ready to install the clutch I cannot find that tool anywhere. I haven't had the clutch kit out of the garage, so I'm mystified what might have happened to the tool. Everything else is there in the box.

Thanks!
Max Byers
Havelock, NC
Well, that was quick, thanks!
As post #2 says order one from Summit, the other will magically reappear! Works every time. ruffcut
That's what I'm afraid of!

I have done it without the tool. If you take the time to center the disc in relation to the pressure plate it will go together. The other trick is to get it close then get the transmission into the spline and against the pilot bushing. Keep applying pressure as someone pushes the clutch pedal down. These have worked for me. I have also made them out of a wooden dowel. Also check your local parts store.
I should say that the engine and tranny are both out of the car. The engine has just been delivered after rebuild. I prefer to install the clutch before I install the engine, and then the tranny comes later.

I should say that the engine and tranny are both out of the car. The engine has just been delivered after rebuild. I prefer to install the clutch before I install the engine, and then the tranny comes later.
Then leave the bell off. Set up the flywheel and clutch. Use your transmission to line them up.

Then leave the bell off. Set up the flywheel and clutch. Use your transmission to line them up.
All responses are welcome, so thanks for that; but I'm still hoping someone out there has an alignment tool for this job. Unless they are in the business of installing clutches, the tool is not something that they will use more than once, probably. I'm hoping someone has one lying around or left over from a kit that they can give, loan, or sell me to include the cost of postage. I would be happy to return it or pass it on to the next guy who needs it. Still trying to find the one lost in my garage.

All responses are welcome, so thanks for that; but I'm still hoping someone out there has an alignment tool for this job. Unless they are in the business of installing clutches, the tool is not something that they will use more than once, probably. I'm hoping someone has one lying around or left over from a kit that they can give, loan, or sell me to include the cost of postage. I would be happy to return it or pass it on to the next guy who needs it. Still trying to find the one lost in my garage.
I understand your struggle but believe me when I say this. I would have it done quicker than I can type this response. Not being a smart a$$.

Yes, all three. None of them have the tool, but will happily order me another complete kit for around $120.
The "All the Parts Your Car Will Ever Need" source doesn't have it. They do have a tool for $21 + shipping that will align all kinds of clutches.

Yes, all three. None of them have the tool, but will happily order me another complete kit for around $120.
The "All the Parts Your Car Will Ever Need" source doesn't have it. They do have a tool for $21 + shipping that will align all kinds of clutches.
That sucks. No mopar guys in your area with an input shaft? Thats all we used in the shop. Input out of any 23 spline will work. Car, truck, 3 speed or new process truck 4 speeds.

Piece of 3/4 inch pipe and numerous wraps of electrical tape to match the ID of the disc and it's location. Has never failed me.

That sucks. No mopar guys in your area with an input shaft? Thats all we used in the shop. Input out of any 23 spline will work. Car, truck, 3 speed or new process truck 4 speeds.
I live in a little town in the eastern North Carolina wilderness. About all I see around here are trucks. But that does give me an idea. Thanks, pnora.

Surely somebody on this forum has bought a kit, installed a clutch, and still has the alignment tool?

Surely somebody on this forum has bought a kit, installed a clutch, and still has the alignment tool?
CarolinaCharg has just offered to mail one to you on Monday. I don't think you will do better than that?

Auto Transport Service
Back